Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hoe do you remove old grease- AKA peanut butter >

Hoe do you remove old grease- AKA peanut butter

Hoe do you remove old grease- AKA peanut butter

Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Hoe do you remove old grease- AKA peanut butter

The Lydia 3 I just got has a bad case. Is there a particular cleaner or technique, or is it just wipe smear and swear? I tried a search, and a lot of people mentioned it, but none told me what to do, lol.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:29 PM

If it's very stuck and grimy I would probably start with spray can oil, most of the brands work well as solvents and cleaners. I usually start by brushing out dust and lint, then oil with basic sewing machine oil and gradually amp it up from there. In stubborn cases you might start with more efficient solvents to begin with, like the various spray can oils most of us have or have had at some point. Alcohol works too. There's lots of different speciality products available, but choose something that will not harm the plastic in your Lydia. This model often needs some clever work arounds with a couple of parts that's often broken, but it has some nice stretchy stitches and simple design. Getting thick lumps of old grease usually requires lots of cotton swabs, tooth picks, cotton rags soaked in solvet... It usually comes off with out too much work.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:07 PM

If it's on the outside, some warm water with Dawn dish soap will work well.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:56 PM

Depending on how much and where -

1. q-tips dipped in either denatured alcohol or 90% rubbing alcohol or kerosene (lamp oil) and don't get the alcohol on your painted surfaces. (Pour your solvent into a small glass cup to make this easier.)

2. Toothbrush dipped in one of the above and scrub (I usually put paper towels strips around and under to catch any over flow or over spray)

3. strips of old t-shirts dipped in one of the above.

4. If you are talking about grease cups (Singer 201-2 and Singer 15-91), use the flat end of a cheap spoon or fork and dig it out.

5. Tiny cracks and crevices can be reached with a toothpick or a wooden skewer - dip the sharp end into the alcohol and then stick it in a small area of a cotton ball. Twist/wrap between your fingers (it will stick and make a skinny q-tip) and dip in solvent again. The less cotton, the smaller the tip. This will get in tiny spots.

That's about all I know about the subject.

bkay
Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks, all!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

Before you get all caught up in cleaning your Lydia, take off the end panel under the hand wheel and inspect the cam stack.

Cari
Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Banned

for old grease, I use heat to soften it then all the above methods for removal
Old 11-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Before you get all caught up in cleaning your Lydia, take off the end panel under the hand wheel and inspect the cam stack.

Cari
Cari., the camstack is fine, Amazing! My problem now is that I can't get the end cover back on with the presser foot pressure assembly in the right place. Has anyone ever done one of these? I can't be the first person to jack this up, lol.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Congrats, you're in the 1% if the camstack is good! I've never had a Lydia in front of me, I don't think I've ever even seen one in person before so sorry but no help here.

Cari