Commonly Misused Phrases

Old 11-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
NZ. I was invited to a Mourning Party via text, yesterday. I texted back 'Mourning' although I knew it was a Christmas Party. The sender could not figure out how Christmas become Mourning in his text.

I may wear all black to the party.

Maybe the person did not want to host that party?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Bothers me when people say cement instead of concrete. Cement is an ingredient in concrete. You cannot have a cement driveway or sidewalk, that's like saying you have a loaf of flour! Also do not like to hear "I mean" after every third word in a speech. Why don't they just say what the mean?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Thank you so much! I have family members who misuse several of these. I think I can use this to help them see the right way to say them without any embarassment to them. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post

The phrase that drives me crazy is 'I could care less'. No, the correct phrase is 'I couldn't care less' meaning I have no feelings about this issue. It is another phrase that I hear used incorrectly on TV and radio much too often.
My husband is quilty of that.Irritates me to no end. I have casually mentioned it(not correcting him, that's rude) but he thinks he's right so it's on him, not me.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I get less irritated about a person misspelling a word because sometimes it depends on where they grew up and what dialect they use. The one that bothers me more than anything is when someone says neither instead of either, like you can put this on neither side of the bed instead of either. I was taught growing up that neither meant "not" not you can have your choice but to day you hear it on TV all of the time, especially on decorating shows.

The other thing is I hate to have misspelled words in a book that I paid good money for. They should have the books proof read before publishing them.

I do try to use the spell check when ever I can.
Like you, I don't like seeing misspelled words or incorrect grammar used in books I buy. I think quite a bit of that is the auto check usage by their computers. The computer is not grammatically programmed yet. So if the word itself is spelled but improperly used. the computer doesn't "know" that. A computer is only as good as the person, or persons, behind the program.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

ha, ha, ha. i've never been able to get used to Eleanor Burns saying salvage when it's selvage. but tons of people say bring when it should be take. Sayings are usually regional. but when we think back and try to find the beginning of a particular saying, it's sometimes funny!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM

I know a lady that says “hypothetically” before everything she says. Drives me crazy because “hypothetically” has nothing to do with whatever she is saying.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by nlgh View Post
Like you, I don't like seeing misspelled words or incorrect grammar used in books I buy. I think quite a bit of that is the auto check usage by their computers. The computer is not grammatically programmed yet. So if the word itself is spelled but improperly used. the computer doesn't "know" that. A computer is only as good as the person, or persons, behind the program.
Oh, I agree with misspellings in books. I had read almost all of Louis L'Amour's books when I got of copy of Comstock Lode. I was excited because some of it took place in BC, during the Fraser River Gold Rush. I was so incredibly disappointed when I saw the Frazier River mentioned in the text. I never bought another one of his books and I had bought and read them all up until that one.

MS Word does have grammar checking capabilities now. If you are writing it will put the red underline under misspellings and a blue underline to suggest grammar changes.

For those who may not be aware; if you right click on a work that has the red underline, you will get suggested spellings. You can also add words to the dictionary too.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 PM

These are funny, but does anyone really say "shade light on" or "fall by the waste side"? lol. Here in Kentucky the one I hear that drives me crazy is kindly...as in "I was kindly tired so I went to bed".
Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Most are very easy, some I would not have the occasion to need them or say them.

What bothers me most is misspelled words. Saying to when too is the appropriate word. Spell check is a wonderful thing, especially when the spelling just won't come to me. I use to be a great speller, as I age, not always.
My latest gripe is the use of an apostrophe for a plural: quilt's rather than quilts, etc. (Using social media, I have a grammatical gripe a day!!)