Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you decorate for Christmas? >

When do you decorate for Christmas?

When do you decorate for Christmas?

Old 11-20-2017, 06:47 AM

I don't bother anymore. We go back to FL for Christmas with the our daughter and GKs and GGKs so it isn't worth the trouble and DH doesn't help. I, too, think they start decorating for Christmas to early. Before long they will start after July 4th. It's ridiculous.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:48 AM

I don't decorate any more, just me and hubs, kids come on Thanksgiving and we have our Christmas with them then. It works for us, and I don't have anything to take down and put away.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 AM

I decorate whenever I want, as much as I want, and leave it up as long as I want!

Some years it's a lot, some years it's almost nothing. Some years it goes up early, other years we're doing some slap-dash decorating on Christmas Eve. Some years it all comes down the day after Christmas, one year we only put out a single decoration and then just left it there all year long.

It depends on a lot of factors. We don't have kids, aren't religious, and we don't normally host anything for Christmas, so it's just whatever DH & I feel like doing, whenever we feel like doing it.

I used to live near a house that went all-out decorating for Halloween, and then would just add Christmas decorations to the Halloween stuff. Every. Single. Year. I thought it was hilarious - they had this big Grim Reaper skeleton that would get a Santa hat and coat and a big sack of presents. The lawn covered in tombstones would get gifts and reindeer added, and little stockings hung from each tombstone. They even had little mini Santa hats for the bats hanging from the tree. I called it the "Christmaween" house and I loved seeing what kind of silly stuff they'd do each year. I was really bummed when they moved away! I know some of the neighbors didn't like it but I loved it. It made me laugh every time I passed by.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM

When I had outside lighted decorations, I put them up on St. Nicholas Day -- December 6th and took them down on Epiphany -- January 6th. I celebrate Advent beginning the first of December (sometimes the last Sunday in Nov), so inside the house is an Advent wreath and a creche to which I add figures to each Sunday. I start with the animals and gradually fill in the people up to Christmas Eve when I add the Christ Child and Magi. The Sunday before Christmas I put up the rest of the inside decorations and leave them up until Candlemas - Feb. 2nd.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM

I put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving, started this tradition when my kids were toddlers, they are now in their 50s. I take down New Years eve at the earliest. I probably wouldn't take down then but I have help on that day so down it comes. I use to leave it up until around the 5th of January.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM

I always start the day or two after Thanksgiving and leave them up till the feast of Epiphany, usually around January 7. I am in a new house this year and cannot WAIT to decorate for Christmas, but am making myself wait till at least Friday. Santa comes at the very end of the Thanksgiving Day parade, so, to me, that is the start of the Christmas season.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
I love Christmas decor, songs, everything, but not yet. Seems the same people who decorate in November, take everything down on Dec. 26. We put up Dec. 21 and take down Jan. 1.

What do you do in your neck of the woods?
When I was a child my mother would start decorating the house by mid-December and the tree went up on Christmas Eve day with only the lights put on. Santa decorated the tree. What magic on Christmas Day! I tried that until I became a working mother and we had to start putting up and decorating the tree earlier, like mid-December. Like you we take our tree down Jan 1.
Now that I'm older my children bring the tree and decorations down from the storage area on Thanksgiving day before they go home. We don't have the room to wait and walk around all the boxes so have to put everything up then.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 PM

My Kids will be here for Thanksgiving and they put up and decorate my tree on Thanksgiving night. I will do the rest over the weekend.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Never.....
Old 11-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
When I had outside lighted decorations, I put them up on St. Nicholas Day -- December 6th and took them down on Epiphany -- January 6th. I celebrate Advent beginning the first of December (sometimes the last Sunday in Nov), so inside the house is an Advent wreath and a creche to which I add figures to each Sunday. I start with the animals and gradually fill in the people up to Christmas Eve when I add the Christ Child and Magi. The Sunday before Christmas I put up the rest of the inside decorations and leave them up until Candlemas - Feb. 2nd.
We also do St. Nicholas Day with candy in wooden shoes (foreign exchange student from Netherlands enjoyed this especially), Advent wreath on dining room table for with candles lit each week for 4 weeks, and fill the stable as you do and add the Kings afterward (takes a while for camels to travel