Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention Retired Quilters >

Attention Retired Quilters

Attention Retired Quilters

Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Chill..retire. happy..stay happy...sewing...
Old 12-10-2017, 05:38 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
Tell the truth--- is it possible for my dreams to come true?
It's absolutely possible but as others have said "life" can still interfere.

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?
I feel like I could/should, but it's not second nature to me, so it will always be a struggle.

2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?
It depends on how you organize your time. I usually procraftinate, thinking I will just go quilt in the morning for an hour or so. The next thing I know, it's 2 pm, and I'm still in my robe in the studio. DH has his own things to do usually out side, so he's not a distraction, and my children and grandchildren live in other states.

3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?
I do use my stash more, but I still shop and collect SABLE (stash acquired beyond life expectancy).

4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?
It doesn't bore me, but I still keep on shopping and buying.

5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?
I've never been much of a magazine collector so this does not apply to me.

6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned?
Yes! After I retired, I met a woman who is now a dear friend, and we go to seminars and open sews regularly. You can't just make a friendship like that happen, though. We feel fortunate.

Enjoy your retirement. Your answers to these questions will depend on many variances in your lifestyle.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 PM

I retired so I could change my activities. My hobbies (fiber arts) has been expanded. To be around people more often, I attend a weekly quilting group, I attend a 2x/mo quilting circle associated with the guild, I attend retreats. Before retirement, I tried to do art, not I've jumped in; joined an artist guild, participate in selling days, joined an art cooperative. And I work with the guild comfort quilt group-that's traditional quilting.
Does my studio stay organized-about the same or a little better
Do I get blocks of time. Yes. This means saying no to distractions.
Do I sew from my stash Yes. And I buy some also. My style keeps evolving, so I would rather have the money I spent on stocking up.
Quilting Arts is my only subscription. I've kept my books and go back for ideas.

Add to that I'm able to try recipes I never had time for.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 AM

I've been retired 9 years but we downsized after the first year. So my answers are Yes... and No...!
1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire? It's our guest room so I do keep it sort of neat. I use the bed, however, as a design wall
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt? I can make time - use my crock pot more than ever and let the dust build up when I feel like it
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds? I try to use stash as much as possible but shop sales. And because I'm more productive, I need fabric for backs and sashing
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping? My stash is endlessly fascinating as I forget what I have!
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended? I have never hoarded magazines but take them to guild for the free table. I spend more time weeding out patterns I realize I'll never use
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned? Yes, definitely, and that is a plus of retirement!

Enjoy yourself - I love retirement!
Old 03-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cjackaitlin View Post
To be honest, you don't have time some days to sew. Life get in the way, people, friends, and the like are after you all the time. The senior centers is a fun place to go to. Some days you are too tired to sew. But make the most of you day. And enjoy the rest of your life. Been retired for 8 years now and I still don't sew every day, even when I try. Mary
I agree life gets in the way, and sometimes you can't accomplish what you wanted to do. Sometimes you don't get to sew like you want to do. Been retired for a little over a year and a half - still adjusting but sure loving not having to run out of the house every morning for work. Enjoying my breakfast and second cup of coffee! Love not having the pressure at work anymore. Getting to do the things I want to do now that I'm not at work: like focusing on quilting and going to my tap dancing class. Yes, we all need to enjoy!
Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?
Nope!
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?
Sometimes. Retired life can be busy!
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?
Nope. My stash keeps growing anyhow!
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?
I'm not bored with my fabrics. It's simply fun to shop and see all the new fabrics!
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?
I've started the practice of giving my old magazines to my friend who takes them to her guild and gives them away. We always meet for lunch, go to a quilt shop, and she goes home with a ton of magazines. I'm starting to give her some books that I no longer need. I know I'll never dye fabric again, or photo print on fabric.
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned
I actually have taken two classes. Something I have never done before.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:07 PM

I think that if you kept your sewing area neat before retirement, you will after. If you're messy, that won't change with retirement.
I am retired...I keep my area clean because it's just easier to find things and to work in an uncluttered area.
I buy new fabric, but not as much..mostly to supplement what I have. I try to use my fabric...at least some of my stash in most quilts. I bought fabric in 5 yard increments so that I could use it as backing if I need to.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM

You will soon realize that you wonder how you had time to work. Retirement is a lot of wasted time. Reason why I went back to part time work.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Quilting is my sanity. At 58 I was laid off my last “job”. Then I started designing appliqué patterns and vending at quilt shows. After about 11 years I quit. Then started doing what I wanted to do. No deadlines, if it intrigued me I tried it. My sewing area has moved around a lot. From the spare bedroom, to our small rental, back to the bedroom, back to the rental, bedroom again. Now major part. Of my stash is in Ca, I am in MO, caring for my Father in law. Organized not. I quilt when I feel like it, yes I still buy fabric, my interests have gotten broader, and my skills have improved. I belong to the local quilt guild, no their style is not the same as mine but I still really enjoy it.
Bottom line do your own thing. If you want to quilt do it. If you want to sit and watch the butterflies today do it inspiration comes in many forms. Just enjoy
Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

GranniesG...one of the things I like about our small quilt guild is the diversity of what our members do. If prompts questions...how'd you do that? what problems did you have? why do you like it? what would you do differently? can you show me how? Not getting into a sewing rut inspires us!