Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for an OSMG in Sacramento, CA >

Looking for an OSMG in Sacramento, CA

Looking for an OSMG in Sacramento, CA

Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 PM

Default Looking for an OSMG in Sacramento, CA

I'm not in love with M______'s anymore. Apparently they passed a law here in CAli that uou can only get the electrical repaired on a sewing machine by an electrician. And they're following said law, sigh. I'm sorry that is just too scary. Most of the electricians I've met would have question marks flying out of their heads if presented with a sewing machine. So, I'm looking for an OSMG. Sorry for the typos, laptop still possessed by demons. Where are those cute Winchester boys when you really need​ them? Lol!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Some rules are pretty stupid. You didn't mention your machine. Could you maybe just replace the motor or controller with a new one. They are generally pretty cheap. (He says as he remembers his Elna that needs a $60.00 controller.)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM

There is someone who regularly sells old machines on Craigslist that says they are in the Pocket area. I don't know if they do anything for others, but you might try tracking them down that way and inquire. I've only got 3 old machines and haven't taken the time to look into it further. Let me know if you find someone; I live in Davis. Oh, and you might check the Janome dealer in Woodland; I think he might do old stuff, but again I'm not sure.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by clevermom3kids View Post
There is someone who regularly sells old machines on Craigslist that says they are in the Pocket area. .
You know, I remember seeing some of their machines for sale. That's a good idea, I'll try it. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Some rules are pretty stupid. You didn't mention your machine. Could you maybe just replace the motor or controller with a new one. They are generally pretty cheap. (He says as he remembers his Elna that needs a $60.00 controller.)
Um, yeah. I'm one of those Necchi nuts, and I have a Supernova and a Mira BF that need transformer work. Those are both parts that The are no longer available anywhere except a parts machine. Tragedy of modern life- at least I've got my health, lol.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM

[QUOTETragedy of modern life- at least I've got my health, lol.[/QUOTE]

And you aren't looking for a $1,000 motherboard.

What exactly is wrong with the machine you posted about?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM

I lost my OSMG (gal in this case) and have been looking for another one. I just joined a quilt guild and heard that a lot of members use one guy they say is awesome. After the first of the year, I'm getting his address. You might try contacting a local quilt guild and see if there is anyone that members there use.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
[QUOTETragedy of modern life- at least I've got my health, lol.
And you aren't looking for a $1,000 motherboard.

What exactly is wrong with the machine you posted about?[/QUOTE] Thankful I'm not in the motherboard market, for sure. Necchis (Supernovas esp) have a transformer that is actually 2transformers side by side. One steps the current down for the light, and the other has two settings, that make you have a slow speed and a fast speed. After the transformer goes to electrical components heaven, you have two choices: find a parts machine that has a transformer (and this is the first part that gets used, usually) or have an electrician (or OSMG) rewire it so that you have an outboard transformer just for the light, and the motor goes to only one speed range. I bought another Supernova to use for the transformer (or if its in better shape than mine, I might just switch, sorry ancestral machine) but I feel like I'm committing a really bad sewing machine sin taking a perfectly beautiful Necchi apart for one piece.

I'm also trying to find some kind of entre into the world of transformer people, so see if its possible to get these things made somewhere by someone. As we know, there are people who are crazy enough about their sewing machines to pay $1000 for a new motherboard, so for sure there are those who'd pay what, up to $100 for a transformer without batting an eyelash. Upwards from there, I *might* pay, but there would be soul-searching on top of the eyelash batting. I thought a local guy who rebuilds motors was going to hook me up with a friend of his who makes transformers, but I think he may have thought I was just some crackpot, because I never heard back from him. Sigh,oh but for the days of my youth, when I was cute and could manipulate tradesmen with just a smile.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Ugh...sometimes they make laws without understanding the real issue!!! I have a few ideas for you (Sent you a PM.)