Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine question... >

Machine question...

Machine question...

Old 12-09-2017, 02:57 PM

the machine I'm sewing on now was born in 1939. Makes it 78 years old, no way to move up from perfect
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I have several vintage machines that sew a beautiful stitch. I have seen so many of my sewing friends buy the thousands of dollars new machines and never use 1/4 of the features. The maintenance is expensive and when the warranty runs out WAM, the cost is outrageous to fix it. One friend's Bernina 830 had a sensor go out a week after the warranty. It cost her over $500, in the shop for over six weeks waiting for the part. I'd rather buy an inexpensive machine, sew it death and then buy a new one about every two years. I oil and clean them and that's all. Even the cheaper machines have the features I want.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:38 PM

I started my quilting journey 2 years ago with a Babylock Symphony. Can't imagine anything more I need at this time on my learning curve. However, I've got my eye on HQ Sweet 16 for FMQ.

Last edited by Teen; 12-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 PM

My upgrades are always to vintage singers. I have 6 featherweights, a 1904 66 treadle, a 1951 15-91 that is a workhorse, a couple of 99s and several others. I have some modern Janomes that I use for monogramming and for making buttonholes, but my alltime favorites are my olden girls, ranging from 1936 to 1953.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM

if you have the funds and see something you want - go for it I know I would ha ha.. but now I am working on my son's school so its not all about me.

my first machine was the Janome 6600 and I love it. I only bought a second machine to have something lighter to take with me places to sew
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 AM

I bought a new 550 Bernina because the one I bought in 1999 Inspire 1530 Bernina was getting old and needed some work. West Des Moines Iowa shop sent it into Chicago, ILL., for repairs and now it is sewing again. Now the 550 needs to go into the shop, it buzzes when it is turned on so I am thinking I need another back up machine. One that has the side way stitch that was talked about on this site. After we catch up on our health issue bills and pay taxes on the new used car, I am going to be looking at used machines...new is not in our retirement budget. So this thread really interests me and I will be following the discussion. Everyone has a good point in what they say on this thread.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 AM

For the last few years, I've been using a Brother JX2517. Mechanical, not computerized. Is great for piecing, but doesn't have any fancy stitches. I liked the machine because there wasn't much to break or need servicing. It doesn't have any fancy stitches, and is a pain to quilt on. I came to this machine from an old White Home machine that I bought new back in 1980. That machine was great, but completely worn out. Never had a service call.

My daughters pooled their money and bought me 2 machines for Christmas. They got 2 Brothers. An SE625 Embroidery machine and a CS6000i quilting machine. I've spent the last 2 weeks just trying to get familiar with each machine.

I do know that the embroidery machine is a hint of wanting to put frills on the girls clothes, so they got it more for their benefit than mine! I have 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters, so I'll have lots of chances to learn both machines.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Chytayzie, how wonderful to receive two machines for Christmas. Sounds like a win-win situation for you and your daughters and grand-daughters.

Found out with internet research, DH had the bobbin rewind on with the 550 Bernina buzzing in protest. Turned it off, and the machine was fixed! Made both of us happy again. I have an Embroidery machine and Serger, all Bernina products because they seem like a good work ole horse. Happy sewing on your choice of sewing machines.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest the Eversewn Sparrow 30 for any new machine purchase. It's very reasonably priced, excellent quality, and has all the features of a high end machine.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:00 PM

When I was getting ready to retire in 2010 I decided to buy a new machine. Up until that point I had a 1950 Singer 15-91 that my mother received as a wedding present and a 1925 Damascus treadle machine that belonged to my great Aunt May. My LQS is also a Janome dealer and had a sale on the Janome 6600P and I love it. I had always wanted a FW and bought one off the Shopgoodwill.com. (I got such a good deal.) When i took it in to my local sewing machine repair guy he asked me if I was interested in an embroidery machine. No way - too expensive - but he made me a deal on the store demo model that I couldn't refuse. It's a Viking Topaz 25. Luckily he didn't tell me about all the extras I would need - because I probably would have walked away. But I have fallen in love with it. And have never regretted the decision. My DH was telling a friend about my purchase and when he said it was the best investment ever - not because of what I did with it but how happy it has made me for the past several years.