Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you? >

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Default How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

I know people that seem to need a cup of coffee to "start" in the morning. Without it, they seem to be as responsive/cooperative as a very cold diesel engine when the fuel has jelled in the fuel tanks.

Are you one of them?

I have never gotten into the habit of drinking coffee. So - even after all these years, I still do not understand the apparent "need" for it.

What about it that gets you going?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 AM

For the record, I love coffee, but, sadly can no longer drink hot coffee. It gives me acid reflux. But, I think it was the act of just sitting quietly (no TV, minimal to no talking) and relaxing before the day started. I just like the taste and smell of coffee. I can drink hot tea. But, it's not really my favorite and I don't really get the same relaxing feeling. I really think it's just a state of mind.

I do still drink cold/iced coffee as the process in the making is different and does not give me acid reflux. But, the feeling is still just not quite the same. lol, funny isn't it.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I have to have my coffee first thing with milk/cream, no sugar. I've done this my whole adult life. I do have to be careful though because too much makes me really hyper. But I could drink it all day if I was able to. Love the stuff.
When we were kids our Mom always drank just part of her coffee and wouldn't let us drink it but I would take sips of hers when she wasn't looking. I was born loving it.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 AM

I’m a grump until after I have my coffee, I only drink a couple of cups a day, but I need my morning fix to get me going.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 AM

I like it for the reasons that Judith said. I like to sit quietly in the morning, sipping it hot with flavored creamer, not interacting with people. I guess I am hooked on the caffeine, too, even though the most I drink is 1.5 cups a day. If I’m sick, I switch to hot tea. The only time I’ve not liked coffee was when pregnant.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

not much. i have coffee or hot tea or hot chocolate in winter. summer, juice, soda, water. what ever is near by.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

It's extremely important to me. I tend to be groggy when I get up (idle mode), and coffee gets my brain and body into first gear. I justify my coffee habit with statistical studies that show students score better on exams when they drink coffee first. Also, statistically, Alzheimer's is less likely to occur in people who drink coffee. I drink it all during the day, but quit in early evening so I can get to sleep. When I was younger, I could drink coffee right before going to bed and still sleep! Those were the days.....
Old 12-10-2017, 01:00 PM

I don't need it - I had my first cup of tea at 3:00 yesterday and first coffee at 4:30. I do like one cup a day, usually after I've been up about an hour. I have been drinking it with butter and coconut oil. The rest of the day, I switch to plain tea - Barry's Irish tea.

For years, I couldn't drink coffee - it threw my heart in atrial fibrillation, so I enjoy my one cup a day now.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 PM

I always like reading your thought provoking posts. Today, I'll respond. I have grown accustomed to having coffee first thing in the morning, tho I insist I'm not addicted to it. I think it's more of a habit....some might argue a bad habit. I'm not interested in breaking this habit, so I'll continue to enjoy it. Thanks for asking.....looking forward to more of your queries.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:38 PM

I would rather give up wine and chocolate than coffee! I Love the ceremony of brewing and smelling it and the pleasure of finally tasting it. I like to have my first cup before DH talks to me in the morning. After 43 years, he 'gets it' most of the time.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-12-2017 at 06:24 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS