Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage >

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

I've reached the "I swear I am not buying any more machines!" stage

Old 02-27-2018, 05:50 AM

and they don't need housetraining lol
Old 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM

The machines are not the problem. You just need lots of special shelves. The problem is too many cabinets. I don't
bring home cabinets anymore unless they are really special and better than one I have. It is an addiction like hording.
I don't think you ever get over it. There is just something about cleaning up and old machine and then making something with it.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:09 PM

NZ Quilter, too funny!!!!
Old 03-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quilterman View Post
The machines are not the problem. You just need lots of special shelves. The problem is too many cabinets. I don't
bring home cabinets anymore unless they are really special and better than one I have. It is an addiction like hording.
I'm with you Quilterman, the last 503 I found, I just took the machine and the accessories and left the cabinet. I can't deal with anymore cabinets.

What am I going to do with my third (maybe 4th) slant shank buttonholer? There is definitely a limited market for them.

Maybe it's a real addiction.

bkay

You're right.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 AM

I too have pulled machines out of the cabinets and left them with the sellers. And then don't you know, I had some vandals break in to my office and leave me a painted treadle cabinet? I can't throw out a treadle cabinet with all the iron attached.

Gave away a sewing machine last weekend. 2 more found me. Walked away from a 201.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 AM

I am above ground. Therefore, I am looking for machines.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Although I'm a lot pickier than I was when I started. I used to buy anything that looked cool did something interesting or wasn't electric. Now I only buy things that are mechanically interesting. Or aren't electric.
DH laid down the law when we moved. Sewing machines are now measured by weight - I have to get rid of 30 lb of sewing machines to bring 15 lb in. So I had to get rid of two machines to get my new Necchi. (Pictures at 11)

Completely agree with Quilterman and leonf about cabinets.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:58 PM

I am thinking about finding new homes for a few, particularly the electric ones. I have my Davis VF, my National Two Spool. I have two Singers and a Free that I love. I recently bought a Singer hand crank and I have another that I could put back together as a handcrank. We are talking about moving cross country and I'm concerned about the amount of space that three more treadles and several machine heads will take up.

I really do have my bucket list machines, but I am not going to say that I couldn't be tempted.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
I am thinking about finding new homes for a few, particularly the electric ones. I have my Davis VF, my National Two Spool. I have two Singers and a Free that I love. I recently bought a Singer hand crank and I have another that I could put back together as a handcrank. We are talking about moving cross country and I'm concerned about the amount of space that three more treadles and several machine heads will take up.

I really do have my bucket list machines, but I am not going to say that I couldn't be tempted.
We just moved 3 treadles with original irons (1918 singer 66-1, Household 3x, and W&W 8), a Jones hand-crank, a 99k, a Free No. 5 head that I really need a parlor cabinet for, and one teensy-weensy machine I convinced DH doesn't get counted.

I sold a 503 (sorry Miriam!) with the cabinet to a co-worker, gave someone else the 403 - I just don't get along with slant-needles - and donated 4 singers I knew I'd never fix.

A Davis VF is on my bucket list. I actually got sniped on an auction site for a hand-crank model last year. Still mad about that one!!!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:01 PM

I really enjoyed reading all of the comments on this page and WOW, can I identify with you all! I've presently got 2 Designer 1 machines, a 201, 301, 66 and just acquired a White treadle. The White will be my summer project, assuming summer ever arrives in NJ.