2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Happylab, Love those blues. They will make a beautiful quilt. I would have bought them, too.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 AM

JJ, congratulations on your resistance to temptation and thinking through before buying.

Happylab, the batiks are gorgeous. It's hard not to buy when you've already traveled 45 minutes to a shop. We'll be watching for that quilt this year! What is a w/h kit? I probably know, but am drawing a blank.

I need kudoes for my major self-control yesterday. My favorite quilt shop is only 1 minute from my favorite thrift shop where I regularly take donations and sometimes shop at because it's church-run and I appreciate their mission.

Last week I found some solid cream fabric at the thrift store ($2 for 2 yds) and a few thin quilting paperbacks for 75c each.

Then yesterday...here's where I'm rather proud of myself...

You have to know that my car will drive on auto-pilot from said thrift shop to said LQS. Two right turns, one stoplight, and bam!--I'm in fabric heaven. My rationale is always "while I'm this close...." . I was soooo tempted to just stop in to buy another 1/3 yard of Kaffe for an eventual quilt (no pattern chosen, so not exactly an imminent project). I even have a gift card...

But.....drumroll, please...and go ahead and give me a standing ovation while you're in the mood.....I took my car off AutoPilot and drove it myself straight home instead! Seriously, people, this was like saying "no" to pumpkin pie being passed out at Thanksgiving after I've just had coconut cream pie!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Altairss: Lovely quilt tops! Your MIL and mother will be thrilled.

OhCanada and Happylab: Nice fabric purchases! Sometimes we just need to take advantage of sales or 'these are what I need for that quilt' sightings.

Zozee: w/h is wallhanging. . Congratulations on your major self-control event! I'm glad you were able to turn off your car's autopilot! Lol!

Connie
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Everytime we can have victory over temptation we stay on the wagon. But this isn't like alcohol to an alcoholic. If I've a project that my stash just doesn't support, then off the store I go. My stash is just so big that rarely do I truely need, mostly I just want.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM

I stumbled onto a sale the other day and fell off the wagon (again). But all I bought were backings for 4 quilts on my UFO list, so I'm counting that as a win. Especially if I get those particular items quilted this year.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Krista....your purchase is well within the guidelines since you bought to complete projects. Good job...definitely and double win!!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Oh oh I just sorted scrap bags from a couple of my guild friends...hard to say how much total yardage, but have a variety of pieces. Many times there are left over binding pieces...I have a project with a couple of 2 1/2" width strips. Thank goodness not too many HST's. LOL I have accumlated 2" scraps of one kit from 3 different quilters...anxious to create something out of these pieces too. These things are a jump start to my creativity!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 PM

I caved the first time this year was at goodwill and found a 4.5 yard piece of QSQ fabric for $6.99 could not pass it up do not have a lot of bigger pieces for backings When I came home I already found a use for it as a backing for a quilt top I have finished and waiting to be quilted. So at least it is not going into stash for a someday project. Have to finish a baby quilt first for my niece baby was not due until April 18th but came 12 weeks early. But have been waiting till she is closer to coming home top is done just needs quilted. Then my other neice went and got married at the courthouse last Thursday so was not anticipating that so cut out another quilt today all out of stash. Carry on everyone small steps using up what have and hoping by the end of the year my stash is smaller then it was at the beginning of the year
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Hubby FINALLY finished the ductwork yesterday, and today he finished "redoing" the shelves (that are now significantly smaller), so tomorrow (hopefully, if I get home from work in time) I will move all my stash back onto those shelves.

While I waited for my shelves to return (somewhat) to normal, I was frogging the Lone Star, and planning the stitching I'll be doing on the Dresden Plate. But with the fixing-the-ducts chaos, I couldn't really QUILT (and I can only stand frogging for so long), so I started another quilt. Hopefully, it won't become a UFO.

I pulled out a pattern from my binders, and used it as inspiration.
The original pattern used yardage, no pre-cuts at all. And the main block is just a star - sometimes called "Morning Star", sometimes called "Evening Star". But since I'm using pre-cuts, and not going along with the original pattern... and it's a "traditional" block... I may be able to self-publish. I'll think about it. Anyway, I'm using two layer cakes (Civil War repro's) along with some cream tone-on-tone yardage. And using Eleanor Burns' no-waste method of making flying geese.

The blocks finish out at 12", so they stitch up pretty fast, but I'm pondering what I want to do between the squares - either some kind of alternate block or some kind of setting squares or sashing. This should use up the somewhat large chunks left over from the layer cakes. But the whole quilt needs to be something other than just the star blocks. Just the stars would be boring!

But I think it will look very authentic to the era of the repro fabrics. And this should finish up into at least a flimsy very quickly, so it shouldn't become a UFO. So, now I don't have to find space for this fabric on my (smaller) shelves.

Stash usage!!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 AM

My mother finally decided on a quilt pattern for her bed (Linda Ballard's Fractured Crystals), and fortunately, I have a few yards of a great floral print in my stash that will go perfectly as the main fabric in her quilt. Unfortunately, I don't have fabrics to co-ordinate, so I will have to head to Joann's for those tomorrow, before the sale/coupon ends.

After, I'm heading to Hobby Lobby for some more Patriotic prints for my son's Shadowbox quilt. I did came across a star print in my stash that will work as a background for that, so that's two large pieces of fabric from my stash instead of the store!

Wish me luck on my double-whammy of temptation tomorrow!