2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Ok...I had to go to the LQS because I had nothing in stash for backing on my current patriotic quilt. I have lots of bolts but not for anything that would match. Since this is for a vet reunion raffle, I wanted it to look nice.....and because I sew a lot of these quilts, I am constantly buying backing for them individually. Well......my LQS sold me entire bolt of fabric that can be used for most patriotic quilts for $3.50 a yard. She had 3 bolts of it and was trying to get rid of it. She would have sold it to me at $6.50/yard discounted if I didn't buy whole bolt. Snatched that baby up. It's perfect....Robert Kaufman...I am so jazzed. Whether I use red/white/blue or camo colors...this fabric will match well. That is all I bought except for some glue sticks for my appliqué supplies. Happy girl!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Great buy, Teen. Backing to complete a UFO doesn’t count, and getting a bolt for the price of 5 yds at full price—no one could rationally pass that up! And you know how it will be used. i don’t think that should count as a slip at all, at all.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Teen, I totally agree with Krisb.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:03 AM

Great score, Teen!! And as Krisb said, it doesn't count since it's to FINISH a project. Plus, at that price, it's just too good to pass up. Just think of all the finishes you can do with that bolt!!

AAARRRGGG!!!!!!
I have really been fighting the "want something new" urge!! It's morphed from just fabric/thread to anything remotely sewing related.

Fortunately for my various personal moratoriums (as well as my pocketbook), I've had to work late the past several days, so by the time I get off from work, various shops are closed... the LQS's... the thread/yarn store... the antiques store...

I made the mistake of looking on Facebook marketplace, and saw a treadle Singer for sale for $75... I nearly caved in and bought it... got home, and looked around and thought "where in the world would I put it?!?!?" So, PM'd the seller back and told her I really had nowhere to put it.
Truly. I do not have any space whatsoever.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 AM

oops. Can I claim the travel exemption? I was out at a retreat for the week, and my driving partner wanted to stop at a quilt shop or two on the way home. Stop 1 - 10 yards of flannel. But that's OK - it's for the guild quiltie program and I'll be reimbursed. It's not my stash.

Stop 2 - 1 yard of black & whites, to complete a quilt I started at retreat. I'm going to call it UFO prevention, because without this fabric I'd have 6 orphan blocks after my demo at guild next week. With the purchase, I'll have a lovely donation for Victoria's Quilts when I'm done.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
oops. Can I claim the travel exemption? I was out at a retreat for the week, and my driving partner wanted to stop at a quilt shop or two on the way home. Stop 1 - 10 yards of flannel. But that's OK - it's for the guild quiltie program and I'll be reimbursed. It's not my stash.

Stop 2 - 1 yard of black & whites, to complete a quilt I started at retreat. I'm going to call it UFO prevention, because without this fabric I'd have 6 orphan blocks after my demo at guild next week. With the purchase, I'll have a lovely donation for Victoria's Quilts when I'm done.

Or, if not a "travel exemption", how about just what you said -"UFO Prevention Exemption"? LOL!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:17 PM

Well I went to my LQS (my favorite) and 6.5 yards of fabric followed me home. My 1st thought was for the fabric to be used as, a quillow. So I bought enough material to make this project. Once I got the fabric home, I noted it would really go well with my BOM Barn Blocks. So I may use some of it for that 1st. The if I have enough left over I will make a quillow. One of the fabrics have different quilt blocks about 2-3" in rows, in different shades of brown, cream and blue. The colors will go well. Another fabric is very small stripes of matching fabric color and would go great as binding. To think I only went to the LQS to p/u my Barn BOM kit. Now I need to make this block. Pics later tomorrow. I can't post pic on this laptop.

Thank-you everyone for answering my questions. IMHO, I could not really use this store as a trip store. There are no pot holes between here and there, and the roads are really good.

On the good side; I found 6.5 yards of fabric in my stash for starting my 365 day challenge. So I'm even so far this year. I plan to start this project sometime in February, (after BHMQ). I already printed out the entire quilt directions and block patterns and had the patterns bound into 2 books. I have now either bought or taken from stash all material to start this project.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Hey happylab, the only fabric I've gotten for my 365 project is the backing. I just downloaded the PDF's and read them off the laptop. I must get back to it, too. FYI, it's a WIP not a UFO
Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Hey happylab, the only fabric I've gotten for my 365 project is the backing. I just downloaded the PDF's and read them off the laptop. I must get back to it, too. FYI, it's a WIP not a UFO
Agree WIP, I figure it will take me 2 years with all of my other projects.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:38 PM

No purchases for me since last post! I am still on the hunt for my Baltimore Album quilt project. I still only have 1 of 5 fabrics purchased plus background fabric. I've been surfing and I have 2 selected that may work. I'm anxious to get this project started. On my list of quilts to make, I have all the fabric needed for the next 3 quilts at least even backing so I'm good to go for awhile.

UFO Prevention...lol! Perfect!