2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 AM

FYI: Judy has posted her Mystery Train #18. It's scrappy and we can use up some of our stash/scraps. It's only a month long. Thought you might want to know. I haven't bought anything for 2 days now. Baby steps.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 AM

I have been reorganizing my spare bedroom so I can assemble my Kangaroo quilting table that has been sitting in boxes for almost a year and rediscovered enough quilt kits, unfinished BOMs, fabric and projects to keep me busy for years. Prior to retirement I purchased material with the idea that at some point my income would be reduced and I wouldn't have the money for quilting materials so I started stashing away material. In most cases I have the pattern, material for top, backing and binding that I still love so I don't plan on spending any money in 2018. I did receive a gift certificate for my LQS but I plan on using that for classes that I want to take. Was there on Friday for a Westalee ruler class and didn't purchase any fabric only a new pair of quilting gloves for the class.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
FYI: Judy has posted her Mystery Train #18. It's scrappy and we can use up some of our stash/scraps. It's only a month long. Thought you might want to know. I haven't bought anything for 2 days now. Baby steps.
Here's the link for it:

18th Mystery Quilt Train Ride
Old 01-27-2018, 01:29 PM

Three Dog Night- really good planning for retirement. I'm sure you are super excited to jump in that pile of lovelies. Envious!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
Prior to retirement I purchased material with the idea that at some point my income would be reduced and I wouldn't have the money for quilting materials so I started stashing away material. In most cases I have the pattern, material for top, backing and binding that I still love so I don't plan on spending any money in 2018.
Ditto. I had the same thought process. Now I have 2 rooms of quilting and crocheting supplies, and material. Now if I just had the time and energy to do all of my projects. Have fun completing your projects. PS you may still by quilting items, but not just as much. I now only buy a few times a year.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM

Happylab and Oksewglad: Thanks for letting us know about Judy's Mystery Train Ride. I thought it started last week and couldn't find it. Now I know I was a week to early. Lol!

Connie
Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

In conjunction with the RSC18 (color is light and medium blue this month), I just finished a 40 x 56 quilt made of light/blue HST's. Have the backing cut as well. Between the top and backing I used up over 4 yards of fabric from stash.

With my little house quilt, I used 3 yards of scrap, 1 1/2 yards in HST fabric, and 1 7/8 yard in borders and binding. That's about 6 1/2 yards of stash fabric

I've bought 1 yard of fabric so far; that makes me at a 9 1/2 yards since the beginning of the year.

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:26 PM

Way to go, Oksewglad!

Connie
Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 AM

4 more days counting today and then into Feb. I can truthfully say that so far I have not bought any fabric! I am also working on a HST quilt. So far that is keeping me home and busy. So far all the fabric is coming out of my stash. I don't know if I have the right fabric for backing though so maybe a trip to my lqs or online. Well we shall see.
Oksewglad how did you figure out the yardage on your HST quilt? I used 10" squares for mine and the finished quilt will be full for the guest room.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Victim of a drive by scrap bag drop off! My cousin teaches quilting at a big box store and an LQS. One of the perks is she gets to take home the bag of discarded scraps at the end of the class. She doesn't make scrap quilts, but knows that one of my quilty friends frequents a shop that recycles cotton scraps. I'm the middle man. Of course I have to go thru the scraps to make sure there's nothing wonderful bound for the recycling bin! Don't know why, but there always seems to be someone who just got frustrated & dumped her (his?) whole project in the bin. This time it's a teal and grey tumbler. Enough pieces for a nice size baby quilt. There also was a whole pillowcase where the side seam was serged, but missed several places. Really cute snowman fabric. I'm claiming a gift exemption.