2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM

Has anyone been to the Little Red Hen in Muscatine, Iowa. It is a good thing that I am more than a thousand miles away for I could really add to my stash.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Never been to Iowa. They've got some serious crafters in that state so it doesn't surprise me that they have a fabric store that rocks it. I'd be reckless! HA!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Guess I'm gonna have to make a road trip...although it's still almost a 4 hour drive for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 AM

Question of the day, it's a serious question, LOL : Anyone can put their input. Is 25 - 15 miles crossing state lines and country roads considered a drive for this exemption? Not sure if it's my closest LQS, but it is one of my favorite stores. It's my top 1-2 favorite. Just curious.

Second question, if I signed up for a BOM last year is that considered a buy this year if we pitch up the blocks this year and pay for it?

Great job everyone for sticking to your stash 1st. Yea!!!!. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

That depends on how many potholes you have to skirt, happylab. You need to be the judge. lol
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
Question of the day, it's a serious question, LOL : Anyone can put their input. Is 25 - 15 miles crossing state lines and country roads considered a drive for this exemption? Not sure if it's my closest LQS, but it is one of my favorite stores. It's my top 1-2 favorite. Just curious.

Second question, if I signed up for a BOM last year is that considered a buy this year if we pitch up the blocks this year and pay for it?

Great job everyone for sticking to your stash 1st. Yea!!!!. Happy sewing everyone.
On the driving distance, I would say it entirely depends on you. Since my daily commute to my job is 50 miles one way, I would not consider this to qualify for the travel exemption. However, some people seldom drive 5 miles outside of their little kingdom. So, it depends.

On the BOM, I would have to say I would not consider that a "new" buy, as you committed to it last year. HOWEVER... if you join a new one THIS year, that's a buy.
And another "however" would be a BOM or BOW that you just get free patterns for, and use your stash on - that's a GOOD thing!! No buying there!
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Now, I was getting the "need something new urge", but I managed to resist it. I keep reminding myself of Foust's "open to the public sale" in a couple of weeks.

And I've really been focusing on UFO's, so that's another way to keep me from buying new.

Lastly, I'm working on a commission quilt right now - my SIL's Great Dane passed away last October, and my brother asked me to make a "memory quilt" for her. He wanted to wait until closer to her birthday, as he felt it would be somewhat less painful for her. So, I have 12 photo-on-fabric blocks that I'm putting together. I was fortunate enough to find "dog fabric" that has a Great Dane on it - and he looks like their Great Dane. Plus there's other dogs, including a Chihuahua (of which they have 3). So, this is sort of taking the edge off of my "something new" urge... but... not really.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Good girl!! I'm so weak! Lol! What did you think of the "Best of Show"? I thought it was amazing. I didn't know where to look first...
Yes the best in show was incredible. I am amazed with the design and all the embellishment.

Just relized that I went into JoAnns to get some Velcro...I slipped and bought two bundles of blender FQs that were in the clearance bin.

Last edited by quilt addict; 01-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM

Oops! I was there today and only bought those fabric sheets you can print on your printer. Walked right by the fabric section... Of course, my face was numb from the dentist so I wasn't feeling too good..lol..
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM

I'm beginning to think I need to be on a "anything-quilt-related" moratorium.
Why?
Because, in my effort to distract myself from starting something new, I decided to do a little reorganizing... and have discovered that I am evidently addicted to every kind of ruler. I even discovered I have TWO of a specialty ruler!!

I've done better on the patterns, since I let my magazine subscriptions lapse, but I have a duplicate embroidery pattern as well.
<sigh>
I guess I'll just put myself on a "No Buy Anything Quilt Related" protocol.
But I have been eyeballing that set of layercakes and jellyrolls (2 of each, same fabric line) that I bought at 75% off last year. Civil War repros...

Must NOT start something new... must NOT start something new...must NOT... uh-oh.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 PM

While searching thru boxes of fabric for something else, I came across the Nautical shower curtains from my old house. There is more than enough for me to use as a backing for my Irish Chain Quilt! No shopping for me, lol!

I think I'm going to cut the panels apart, and do light colored sashings, with some scrappy cornerstones (pinwheels, maybe?).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587553[/ATTACH]

I also found the matching all over print that would be great as a border, but it is noticeably faded compared to the panels, so i probably will save it for another project.
Attached Thumbnails 20180122_232240-resized.jpg