2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Mad quilter....I would love to see the luscious fabric you gifted yourself with today..... I want to enjoy it vicariously thru you... You are right, you shouldn't be rude to LQS. Lol... I went to a quilt shop after the quilt show with my SIL and I didn't purchase anything but felt guilty when I left. And, I have a $40 gift card to spend there. Lol! Geesh...
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 AM

Martina- don't forget that there is a travel exemption! Sounds like that applies here

Teen- I am so sorry we did not tell you about the travel exemption- This was an unfortunate slip up on the part of those of us who have been here longer, and it should not have happened. I think it would be appropriate for us to extend to you An olive branch by having a “Teen Exemption Day” named in your honor. I propose that each member may decide for themselves when to celebrate Teen’s extraordinary fortitude and willpower by claiming a “Teen Exemption” on the day or days of their choosing.

Sincerely,
Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-21-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:35 AM

I didn't know about the travel exemption. AND how many times can it be used? What is the minimum of travel miles needed? LOL Will be going on a Shop Hop in March so the travel exemption is certainly welcomed.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 AM

Ok, I'm in this year. I swear I haven't bought fabric "on a whim" for a couple of years. But I still can't get stuff into my fabric closet. And I pull something out, and the leftovers won't go in. I think it breeds in there.
I think it was Bonnie Hunter's mystery that really kicked me into reality - I try really hard to do mysteries out of my stash, but I don't like to do scrappy. And this year, I had absolutely nothing that went together with enough yardage to do Bonnie's mystery. So I bought - and I bought 1 colour 4 times looking for the right shade. Sigh.

I am determined this year not to buy new just because I want a new project - I will come up with something I can make from my stash when I need a break from my UFOs. And I am going to figure out how to use some of my stash - especially the little bits (less than 1/4 yard) that I've stuffed into bags (which are about to overflow). I'm even planning to piece backings for a couple of big quilts waiting for the longarm. There are a couple of special ones that might need something new, but stash first. And ones that need a purchase just might not make the UFO list this year.

Last edited by kristakz; 01-21-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

You are on the right track, kristakz! Yes once in a while we slip, but let's use all the beautiful fabric we have bought in the past...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Well, I had a close encounter Friday. I received an e-mail from Marshall's Dry Goods (note to self: unsubscribe!). They had Fons and Porter small print fabric for $1.50 a yard by the bolt. Several of the colours would have been absolutely perfect for backings. I put two in the cart, then came to my senses and cancelled the cart. Whew! Close call.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM

We all are doing so well this year. I spent the day at Road yesterday.....wait for it.....I resisted the fabric! I bought 3 patterns for bags. I am so proud of myself. I just kept reminding myself how many UFOs I have waiting to be completed. It also helped that I told myself I was only using cash that I had on me at the time.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Leta - that quilt is simply stunning! I have a template for that half square rectangle (?) patch... Might need to dig that out.
Retired - I love your quilt. So unusual!
Everyone else seems like they are doing well, or at least getting back on the wagon after a tumble!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Martina- don't forget that there is a travel exemption! Sounds like that applies here

Teen- I am so sorry we did not tell you about the travel exemption- This was an unfortunate slip up on the part of those of us who have been here longer, and it should not have happened. I think it would be appropriate for us to extend to you An olive branch by having a “Teen Exemption Day” named in your honor. I propose that each member may decide for themselves when to celebrate Teen’s extraordinary fortitude and willpower by claiming a “Teen Exemption” on the day or days of their choosing.

Sincerely,
Rob
hahahaha....funny guy! I'm going to need this exemption....do you know how many quilt shops are between S. California and Boise Idaho? A bunch...I'm going to encourage the DH to stop for gas ALOT! Glad my ignorance on the rules is benefitting the masses...
Old 01-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
We all are doing so well this year. I spent the day at Road yesterday.....wait for it.....I resisted the fabric! I bought 3 patterns for bags. I am so proud of myself. I just kept reminding myself how many UFOs I have waiting to be completed. It also helped that I told myself I was only using cash that I had on me at the time.
Good girl!! I'm so weak! Lol! What did you think of the "Best of Show"? I thought it was amazing. I didn't know where to look first...