2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I am working on a project that involves applique and don't really know what possessed me, but I decided on HAND-applique. Shaking head in disbelief. Now that I am 2 blocks into the project, it is moving at a decent pace but still....it will be a long process. SIGH! I also decided that some of the tiny pieces won't be following the insane shapes indicated. Some bulges will be more gradual and some curves less curvy. It still looks good in the end AND it has a chance of getting done. lol
Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Drove right by the LQS today...zoom...... Then, I stopped and bought a corn dog (I know they are trash but I Just had to have one immediately ).... So...fat for fabric. Just a different kind of stash...lol!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I need to adjust my moratorium to include anything quilt-related! In the past month, I've fallen off the fabric moratorium (but I'm back on the wagon). I've now fallen into the gadgets, notions and "things to make things better" category. I went to a quilt show and purchased the Martelli machine binding system (yesterday), I ordered in-line the TrueSharp2 power rotary blade sharpener and the back-brace thingie from Nancy's Notions. I have spent not only my 2017 Christmas money, but also my anticipated 2018 Christmas money!

I do many charity quilts and they want machine binding. I've been so dissatisfied with how my machine binding looks after I've spent so much time and effort piecing and quilting......so I have been frustrated with my binding. I have looked around and am impressed with the Martelli system. So.....I will make it work and it will be better than I can do...but it appears to be time-consuming and tedious. But, it's worth it to me if they come out better.

The rotary cutter sharpener is to save my sanity and my meager attempt to make those blades last longer by continuing to cut when they are dull. If I can get a little more use out of them, this will be worth it to me.

Lastly, I need to be constantly reminded (by myself) to sit up straight, shoulders back, suck in stomach, etc. So.....I've been looking at that back brace thing for years. It's on its way and I'll will wear it.....

So, now that I've put all the justifications....I still feel pretty bad about all this spending. But, that's it for the year......no additional fabric.....no additional notions.......and I'm focusing on the spirit of gratitude for all I have by sewing up a storm!

Thanks for letting me confess......hopefully I'm not the only one who's over-spent a bit!
I joined the Moratorium late, sometime in Feb., and I can't remember if tools, notions, or items other than fabric was mentioned, so you won't be reported to FA (Fabric Anon.)

I don't understand why the charities that are receiving your quilts want machine bindings. I tried to do them in order to save time, but they were bad. I just couldn't get them to look even near nice. Those people are even sillier than I am!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I am working on a project that involves applique and don't really know what possessed me, but I decided on HAND-applique. Shaking head in disbelief. Now that I am 2 blocks into the project, it is moving at a decent pace but still....it will be a long process. SIGH! I also decided that some of the tiny pieces won't be following the insane shapes indicated. Some bulges will be more gradual and some curves less curvy. It still looks good in the end AND it has a chance of getting done. lol
I admire those who do hand-applique. In my opinion, that is a skill that takes time so...Kudo's for you. I love applique work but I do mine by machine. It's still turned edge (I don't care for raw edge...at least my raw edge) but I just have never enjoyed handwork, including needlepoint stuff,though I've done a lot of it. Can't wait to see what you create...
Old 05-19-2018, 02:36 AM

I'm going to have to bail on the Moratorium. My dear quilting friend is moving and will be down sizing. She wants me to take all her non-moving fabric. She has tons and it is all good stuff. Oh happy day. My place is going to be a MESS.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I'm going to have to bail on the Moratorium. My dear quilting friend is moving and will be down sizing. She wants me to take all her non-moving fabric. She has tons and it is all good stuff. Oh happy day. My place is going to be a MESS.
Lucky you! But at least you won’t be buying all that great fabric-more like protecting it for your friend. Maybe she’ll come back for a visit & y’all can cut & sew a project together.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
No! Don't bail on us! The Moratorium is for not buying fabric... not for being nice by rescuing fabric. Congrats on friend's gift!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Battle Axe: I agree with Silly Susan. I get fabric from two groups where I volunteer and I don't consider that falling off the wagon.

However, you are making me jealous. I want to come and help you sort out all of that fabric! LOL!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Battle Axe...such a nice thing your friend is doing. I'll be more than happy to take your new stash so you can remain in the moratorium.....really, it's truly no problem to make that sacrifice for you.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Battle Axe: I agree with Silly Susan. I get fabric from two groups where I volunteer and I don't consider that falling off the wagon.

However, you are making me jealous. I want to come and help you sort out all of that fabric! LOL!
Let's take a road trip to Indiana! I'd love to just sort through it too!