2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 PM

I was noodling around and found you. I have been kind of doing this starting this year. I moved from one home to another state and I just decided to get rid of fabric that didn’t inspire me or projects I knew I didn’t want to finish. However, I still moved a boatload of fabric.

Then during move at new home, the LQS had a 30% off all fabric sale on the day I went to check them out and I bought some lovely fabric. It was snowing. I was in my new home alone. However, I have not bought any fabric since then. I am working on projects to go through stash. I signed up for a Boom exchange and will use fabric in my stash.

I am totally wanting to only shop my own stash for the next several years except for backings etc. I don’t get to buy fabric just because it is pretty. It has to be able to do something that fabric I currently own can not do. Also, it has to be for a current project. It can’t be for a wished for future project.

I have realized there will always be pretty fabric. It will not happen that when I get my stash whittled down and I actually have room to store new fabric will only ugly fabric be left to purchase. I also want to use up the fabric I have before it gets too dated. Some of the fabric I gave up had been gifted to me and was starting to look a little old. Some fabric ages better than others.

Anyway, I hope to keep to my goal this year. No new fabric unless for a border/backing/binding for a COMPLETED flimsy I am ready to quilt.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 AM

Welcome, Darcyshannon! This thread helps us avoid purchasing “just because” fabric because we feel accountable for those impulse buys. Fabric that sits in hiring does no good & is a sizable investment. And as you said, if it goes unused we don’t enjoy it when we first get it, it can look dated rather than fresh & exciting. Also, I don’t want to leave behind huge amounts of “stuff” for my daughters to go through. Last night, I gifted 2 bags of yarn to people in my knitting group-that stash is getting out of control now.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Welome Darcyshannon I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "there will always be pretty fabric"! Of course...ugly fabric doesn't sell! So let's get that pretty fabric out and sew it up!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

After my foray into quilt heaven and splurging heavenly, I am back on the wagon. Last night, I took a bag of prepped squares for a rag quilt to the guild. Out of sight - out of mind. No more guilt trip over a project that will never get finished by me. YAY! More out than in in May so far.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Welcome Olivia Jane and Darcyshannon!

I have to fess up, I went out to buy thread today for an on-going quilting project and of course, the only place that carries the thread I need in the color I need happened to also have batiks at 5.99 yd. and also a lovely light neutral end of bolt for 3.99. So, in addition to three cones of Isacord thread, I walked out of there with 4 and 1/2 yards of fabric. First fabric purchase since early January. Oops...at least the light neutral is something that my stash was running low on, and the one batik is a lovely dark blue which is a color I was also running low on. However, the 2 1/2 yd. funky batik/hand dye fabric was a just because...

Rob
Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Oh, Rob. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:48 PM

All from stash with some scraps. A prayer quilt for my church. This is only the top. I took it to church to sandwich it and put the ties in. As usual, the colors are much more intense. I think I see an inexpensive camera in my future. That would cost less than a new phone. I love how it turned out. I can see it all sorts of fabrics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]594516[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20180516_090222.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I don't think neutrals count, Rob. We ALWAYS need neutrals. I give you a pass.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Really like that design Irishrose2. Another for my bucket list.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Cathy, as fast as you make quilts, you can go through it in no time.

Rob—neutrals don’t count. You always need neutrals. Same with black, white, and WOW.