2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Conchalea...you have a plan...no problem. But how creative to use this beautiful fabric (if leather is a fabric?) to further your fundraising efforts! A definite PIF project!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 AM

Welcome Macybaby. Glad you didn't get hurt with your fall.
I would give you a pass Conchalea.
Looks like I had some good company as I took a tumble as well. Oops Back on the wagon.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM

OH, goodness, people! We've made a muck of it in May. Still, the purchases sound like there are plans for our projects and bargains too smart to pass up. I may be enabling but, whatever. Except for my "travel excemption", I've been good the last couple of months. Only buying for current projects. I am going to LQS tomorrow for another yard of teal I need for my SBS. The applique stems need to be cut on the bias and I don't have enough fabric to cut it that way so....*holding up my right hand"...I vow to buy only one yard of teal. I will shut my eyes of the new collections she just received. Ugh! (Praying that there are no new polka dots)

Welcome, Cathy! If I know you, you'll have 30'yards of fabric used by end of month. Lol!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Can I join on May 16th - even if I didn't follow the rules from January Through May 15? I started a block style bargello this past weekend. It required 17 fabrics. I easily selected all the fabrics for a queen size -including borders. However, I usually do not have 5-6 yards for backing in a coordinating color and purchase my backings after the top is done. Occasionally I have decided to make a scrap background but often then find I like it too much and want it as a separate quilt top. I am going to try to utilize all those extra scraps for table toppers and placemats for my son to sell in his tea shop.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM

You can join whenever, Olivia. We'd love to have you yack with us and share your ideas of your use of your stash. You do not violate the challenge by buying fabric to finish projects. There's really no violations....this challenge is personal for each and is meant for you to just shop your own stash first and, perhaps, use up some stuff that's been laying around for years. We are, at least for me, just trying to be more mindful of our purchases and more disciplined in our personal hoarding...lol!! This thread give us just another level of accountability and is not meant to suck out the joy of our craft, which includes possessing beautiful fabrics.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Olivia Jane: we're here when you're ready. Welcome
Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Welcome, Olivia Jane.

Well, I made a short hop off of the wagon today. I bought 2 yards each of 4 different flannels. I plan to make 4 baby burp cloths and 2 receiving blankets for a 'grandma' baby shower. I didn't stop to calculate how much fabric I needed so my plan is to use the remaining flannel to make burp cloths for a baby charity. I will probably cut the rest into strips to use in scrap quilts.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM

Oh, alas, all these people falling, sliding, and hopping off the wagon! I think we shouldn't go the FA (Fabric Anon.) meeting. The FA should come and get us!

I have to admit that I was sorely tempted yesterday. A friend called and told me that our favorite little thrift shop had a roll of very nice cream colored fabric on sale for $10. She suggested that I should race right down and get it. I thought seriously of dashing off after it, but I restrained myself. I did go this morning and it was gone. That was really close, but, thankfully, I'm still sitting upright on the wagon.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:19 PM

Spring fever? I 'needed' to order fabric for my outdoor chairs from Hancock's of P. A yard of batik fell into my cart. I needed 1/4 yd of it, but minimum was a yard so I just added 3/4 yard to my stash. I have some blenders coming from Quilting Twins, too, for the quilt on the design wall. A throw became a large queen, so I needed a king size batt, too. Grr. It's over. Now back on the wagon.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 PM

In Teen’s post #613, she mentioned the travel exemption. Well I had forgotten about that, so I claim it for those leather pants! We were about 250 miles from my home so it qualifies. The leather in those pants feels wonderful. It’s soft & easy to cut. I have the purse piece cut out but I’ve been using my 1949 15-30 to piece 2 quilt tops & it’s the one I use to sew leather. The old girl chugs right through the stuff, which my newer machine can’t do. I’ll wait until I’m through with my quilt tops before I switch the needle & my mental set to sew the purse. I don’t plan to keep the leather in my stash, either. I’ll make things from it until I use it all. I’m interested to see what I can make from the former pants.