2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 PM

Welcome, Darcyshannon!

Pretty quilt top, Irishrose2!

I used some of the flannel that I bought yesterday. I decided to make 2 burp cloths and 1 receiving blanket instead of 4 burp cloths and 2 receiving blankets so I have more left over fabric than I thought I would have left even with making a snuggle sack. Now I need to decide if I will put the rest in my stash to wait for another baby shower or make items for a baby charity like I had originally planned from the leftovers.

The bonus part of these projects is that I used some remnants of cotton batting for the burp cloths and I am also putting some of the batting in a book that will be part of the baby gift.

I went to my church quilting group yesterday and came home with a plastic shopping bag of fabric. I forgot to grab it out of my car to sort through it. Hopefully, most of it will go to a baby charity.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 05-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 PM

The temptation has begun as I work on projects. I am in a new home and sewing again. I am participating in a 9 patch fabric swap. I plan on making two large cuddle quilts for downstairs because it is always cooler. I thought I had what I wanted as background fabric and now I am not sure. However, I will experiment with what I have and see.

Also, I am starting my first Boom swap. You use your fabric along with the fabric sent to you to make a block. I am hoping I will have an adequate supply to make the exchange blocks.

I will wait and continue to sort through my stash so I can know what I do have.

Rob, I can see how it will be hard to pass up that fabric that sings to you while getting fabric for known projects. Enjoy it. I am sure it is beautiful.

Retired teacher 09 I think it is great to make such lovely baby gifts.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I don't think neutrals count, Rob. We ALWAYS need neutrals. I give you a pass.

Do polka dots count, too? Lol!! I was a bad girl today. Not really really really bad...just kinda... Really bad. I did buy my 1yd of teal but......1yd of the most awesomeness of polka dot fabric ever to be made on the whole planet...maybe the universe....and.....when Kona solid is on sale at 5.99/yard and its navy blue and, you know how I always make QOV stuff, and it's Kona solids and its so pretty...did I say it was Kona solid and on sale and I bought 2/yds, right? ....and a FQ. (don't pay any attention to the FQ I snuck I there)..... See? Bad girl.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Oh.....forgot to welcome Darcyshannon!! Hey, girl!

irishrose.....beautiful quilt. I love Lattice patterns...I need to make more of them.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Teen, I think the navy Kona doesn't count but the polka dots are a hard one to find justification for. Let me give it a think. lol At least you would get one pass. right?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Teen, do you use your polka dots, or just collect them? I have some I need inspiration for.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for reminding me that neutrals don't count! Whew! That was close LOL!

Rob
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Madquilter.....thank you for the pass on the Kona......I guess I'll take the hit on the polka dots....lol!

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Teen, do you use your polka dots, or just collect them? I have some I need inspiration for.
Irishrose2..... I have a couple of ideas but no patterns for polka dots. One idea is a PP block (like a Mariners star or a less complicated star) and may go with that. Not sure if you lurked or participated in Mystery 18 but one gal made hers with polka dots and it was amazing. Super easy and fun mystery. The other idea I have is to make different sized framed boxes and do some applique in the larger framed boxes. Likely floral and using smaller print polka dots for applique. The other day I saw a picture on net that used bright colors and HST and I saved picture but not Ste address so I can't post here. It looked super easy and I though the polka dot fabric would look awesome. If you want the picture (you really don't need the patter), PM your email and I'll send to you the picture. Really, I have so much I could make each one of you a quilt.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 AM

Teen, I’ll pm you my address so you can send it when you finish!
I stalled out on sewing yesterday-too busy setting up my new cutting/pressing table in my craft room. I emptied one weird shelf unit & took it to the curb, found new places for the fabric I had there, have a table & chair to my daughter, repositioned one sewing machine cabinet & a desk to clear a space in the room’s center, & set up the table there. I wanted to be able to move all around it for easier cutting. It’s my old 1980’s era island top, which I replaced in 2012 with turquoise quartz countertops. I saved the island top because I visualized making a table from it. It’s taken me 5 1/2 years, but I now have it. The top sits on 2 6-cubby units that are the same width & height as the island the top originally sat on. So it’s a good height for cutting/pressing without making me stoop. Maybe I’ll sew today & finish up some tops & a pieced backing. This will be from stash on hand so I won’t ‘have’ to shop for more fabric!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM

I need to adjust my moratorium to include anything quilt-related! In the past month, I've fallen off the fabric moratorium (but I'm back on the wagon). I've now fallen into the gadgets, notions and "things to make things better" category. I went to a quilt show and purchased the Martelli machine binding system (yesterday), I ordered in-line the TrueSharp2 power rotary blade sharpener and the back-brace thingie from Nancy's Notions. I have spent not only my 2017 Christmas money, but also my anticipated 2018 Christmas money!

I do many charity quilts and they want machine binding. I've been so dissatisfied with how my machine binding looks after I've spent so much time and effort piecing and quilting......so I have been frustrated with my binding. I have looked around and am impressed with the Martelli system. So.....I will make it work and it will be better than I can do...but it appears to be time-consuming and tedious. But, it's worth it to me if they come out better.

The rotary cutter sharpener is to save my sanity and my meager attempt to make those blades last longer by continuing to cut when they are dull. If I can get a little more use out of them, this will be worth it to me.

Lastly, I need to be constantly reminded (by myself) to sit up straight, shoulders back, suck in stomach, etc. So.....I've been looking at that back brace thing for years. It's on its way and I'll will wear it.....

So, now that I've put all the justifications....I still feel pretty bad about all this spending. But, that's it for the year......no additional fabric.....no additional notions.......and I'm focusing on the spirit of gratitude for all I have by sewing up a storm!

Thanks for letting me confess......hopefully I'm not the only one who's over-spent a bit!