2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Petthefabric hope it's healing well. I know I was told the itching is a sign of that but it can drive you bonkers not to scratch that itch. Probably an old wives tale anyways.
I haven't really been keeping track of what I'm using either Rob. The pillowcases were easy enough to know and the fabric made wonderfully soft cases.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 PM

I'm feeling mentally better. At the last minute, realized I had a committment. Got working on it. This am got a call that the project had been reassigned. What I (with major help from DH) had completed was delivered to Carla & she took it from there. What a great group of people.

Then I felt like some fresh air. Spent 2 hours watering the garden. Took a nap. Woke with muscle cramps....Time to get some exercise.

Yes, I'm recovering.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:26 PM

Love this challenge.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 AM

It's confession time.

I have never officially joined this thread, but did start off the year with the goal of limiting my fabric purchases. I had not folded and put away most of what I bought in the last year or more. DD had come to visit at Christmas time and I just dumped it all in several large totes to deal with later.

Finally got around to dealing with it in March and was shocked at all I'd bought and could hardly find room to put it away. That was when I decided I needed to stop purchasing more unless I needed it for a project.

And I was really good, for about one month! then I found out the local Fabric Warehouse store was going out of business. They had lower prices than the LQS to start with, and had 25% off everything. I went in and spent about $$$ over several trips getting some of the blenders that I loved and some others that caught my eye. At least this time I washed, folded and put away - no more piles on the floor.

But it didn't stop there, three weeks later they went to 30% off - at $7 a yard it's hard to say no. I've been in twice more, and washed and folded but have run out of shelf room. This weekend I was looking in my stash fabric on a shelf and tripped over a pile of fabric on the floor. I may have gotten hurt, but I landed on another pile of fabric on the floor.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Well glad you had a soft landing, Cathy! Welcome to our group. With the sale price purchases you probably have fabric to complement what is already in your stash and do you think you will have nice pieces for backings as well. Then it's a win win. You have a commitment to use your fabric; you bought it because you liked it. Shop the stash first as you are planning your projects. Don't worry about a fall, we are very forgiving.

Oh sorry folks, I fell off a bit...bought some sale fabric for a project, but only 3 1/2 yd cuts of the extra regular priced fabrics to go with it. and 3 FQ's at another shop. So that's 4 1/4 yds in the plus column...better get to sewing and getting something done to work on my negative fabric usage balance!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Since I can't quilt d/t surgery on right hand, I'm avoiding quilt stores and plant nurseries. So far I can't drive so it's pretty easy. Thursday, off goes the cast, then I drive. Then I must keep remembering...do I REALLY need this?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Oh Macybaby, this will not do! You have to develop some defenses against those bargains. We'll have to send you to FA (fabric anon.) for treatment.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:28 PM

You are a Silly Susan. Fabric anon. for treatment!!!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:51 PM

I blew it this past weekend.....was out of town...stopped at my favorite quilt store in that town. Went to the 50% off section looking for Quilts of Valor fabric. Found some.....bought it along with other fabric that was regularly priced $6.99/yard - Moda and red....so I bought it all. Oh well.....I made it all the way until May 12th.......that's pretty good I guess. Now, back on the wagon.....no more fabric this year. Yeah, right!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:02 AM

I’m wondering if this counts as a fabric purchase... My riding group had a silly auction of ‘gently used’ riding gear & equipment, with a max of $10/bid. I acted as auctioneer & the last item was a pair of buttery soft leather riding pants. The size said 2X, but it must have been Asian sizing because they didn’t fit even the slimmest of our group. I went ahead & bid $2 & won them. My plan is to make some riding purses from them. I have 1 cut out already. They’re lined with a slick fabric which I’ll use as the purse lining. I did go into Joann’s over the weekend, but only bought hardware for the one purse. There’s plenty left for another. I plan to resell these at our next silly auction. Proceeds from these auctions go to pay for the room we use for our big gatherings. So, do these pants count? If so, I fell off a bit, but I’m using it right away.