Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing space? >

Sewing space?

Sewing space?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Sewing space?

I live in a tiny house with my husband and two kitties. I have all of my "stuff in bins" stored in every corner I can find. I love to sew and create but sometimes it just seems like to much trouble to drag it all out. Anyone have any ideas on tiny sewing spaces or any pictures to give me some creative ideas?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 AM

I used to sew in the "breakfast nook" of our townhouse. It was a room about 6' x 8'. I shared it with the dog dishes. I put shelves on the walls to get as much off the floor as I could. I had a drop down ironing board mounted on the wall and a set of cheap stackable drawers I bought on sale at Target in one corner stacked 5' tall. It wasn't ideal, but it worked for years.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanks, that sounds like my setup. Especially the 5' tall stack.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

If I were in close encounters, I would set up my sewing centre into a closet.
That way the machine could be left set up all the time.
Lighting could be easily addressed.
Shelving for long term storage, including for setting things on between work sessions.
Then close the door .... and out of sight, til the next session.

Yes, some need to bring things out, but it would be cut to the minimum, as it would not be packed away in the sense of hidden into plastic totes and such.

Of course, it all depends on what space you have available to you in the limited space.

I've also seen some pretty interesting sewing areas built under stair steps.
That'd be another place I would focus on for my sewing area, if I was faced with the challenge.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Sounds like me! My sewing room is currently shared with bf and three kitties, and doubles/triples as a computer room and bf's hobby room... and it's in a smallish bedroom in a smallish house! Luckily we live right near an IKEA. I use double-wide IVAR shelves and SAMLA totes (they're see-through, which helps a ton!)to organize my fabrics, then I have a smaller dining table pushed up against them to use as my main surface (but I can pull it out into the center of the room if I need to). There's also a little coffee table next to my sewing surface that I can use for ironing if I need both at the same time, but I'd like to get a real ironing board someday....

The biggest thing for me right now has been keeping on top of projects so I don't end up with a huge stash of stuff I may never get to. But that's easier said than done!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Honestly, once the kids moved out, I thought I would be in one of their bedrooms, both of which are fairly small. But DH wanted one for all of his video games and the other has stayed a guest room. That's fine. I took over the family room. DH goes in the living room in the evening and watches sports, sci-fi or scary movies - none of which I want to see. I stay in what is now my sewing room. It has a tv, computer and all of my rather messy stuff.

I wish there were someplace I could close it off, so the mess wasn't so visible, but guess I've gotten old enough that I don't care much any more. It's not dirty, just cluttered! But it's cluttered with the things I love, so I am happy.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AmmaJudy View Post
I live in a tiny house with my husband and two kitties. I have all of my "stuff in bins" stored in every corner I can find. I love to sew and create but sometimes it just seems like to much trouble to drag it all out. Anyone have any ideas on tiny sewing spaces or any pictures to give me some creative ideas?
One idea, keep your basic sewing/cutting items in one area or tub and whenever possible put each project in a zip-lock bag, that way you won't be dragging it all out, just the thing you are working on.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM

I just googled " how to organize a small sewing space" and there are some great ideas, especially this closet one, Wow!

http://livefreecreative.co/2012/08/a-closet-seamstress/
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM

How small is small? I sew in a room that is 8 x 8 with a good sized closet. It works great and I have every
thing I need.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:11 PM

I’m sharing my sewing space with a guest bed. Not ideal, but to store my stash we bought a bed frame (doesn’t need a box spring) that has 17” clearance. We bought totes that slide underneath the bed. I put felt runners on each tote so when I slide them under my bed it doesn’t scratch the bamboo flooring. I have 8 totes stored under there! I wouldn’t have agreed to buy this house if I would’ve had to give up my stash. Now I’m just waiting for my husband to build me a Murphy bed. Use to have one in my sewing room in a different house. Perfect solution!