Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for a child >

Sewing machine for a child

Sewing machine for a child

Old 02-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Brother provides a quality machine at very reasonable prices. I used to write user manuals for computer systems. Based on my experience of both writing and testing user manuals, the Brother user manuals are among the best, most easily understood user manuals I have ever read.

Having said that, I haven't read the Janome manuals. Their might be better.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Absolutely agree, Stitchnripper.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 PM

I would keep it simple. Avoid computerized! Very expensive to fix if board goes out.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Abashobbes View Post
I started teaching sewing to children after school over 6 years ago and was looking for machines to use. This brother 6000i was on my list. I ended up with janome 7330. These are awesome machines! I have eight! I've gone from one class of eight students to eight classes of five students. Currently I have four days/classes of 6 students. My machines are still going strong. Every year a couple of students get sewing machines for Christmas. A few years ago a student got the brother 6000i. I had the mom bring it in to help teach her daughter how to use it. Lets just say you get what you pay for. It looks great but it is a plastic-inside machine. It is very light weight, easily half the weight of my janomes. The problem with these kinds of machines is tension goddess wacko easily. I would not recommend it.
Anita
The tension on mine low end brothers have been fine for years never had an iota of tension issues. My machine gets moderate use for the last 7 years, goes through thick layers and yes I got it at walmart. Why do some think there are tension issues on them. Tension is only an issue when you never learn how to adjust it. I personally think they are great beginner machines. I learned on one and still using the brand today. I have several brothers
Old 02-02-2018, 08:59 AM

I would go to a thrift store and get an older Singer....not computerized. They last a long time and hold up to a lot of wear.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I would go to a thrift store and get an older Singer....not computerized. They last a long time and hold up to a lot of wear.
I think some of the thrift stores are onto us, the last time I spotted an oldish machine (70s Kenmore) the Salvation Army wanted $200 for it. I'm sure it was a good machine but I wasn't going to pay that. It needed a good service visit too which would have been nearly another $100.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 AM

I have to agree with everyone that has recommended the Brother CS6000i. I use the one left to me by my sister as a take to class machine. Have not had any problems with it. My sister liked it because you can use it without the foot pedal and it can be set to different speeds. It has also been used by my daughters 6th grade students to make baby quilts as a class project. No problems and most of the students had never used a machine, it is easy to learn to use.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 AM

my oldest grand wanted to learn & at age of 8 i started her on my featherwieght and loaned her one of my older necchis ..it had speed control & was very easy to use. she did great with it. made doll clothes a a couple of doll quilts before she drifted off into knitting & crochet. she's still sewing, she'll be 11 in april, but right now yarn is where her allowance goes
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Check out Eversewn Sparrow machines. Excellent and all metal frame. The beginner model Sparrow 15 is under $200. They are excellent machines, the high end Sparrow 30 has all the newest features and is under $500.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Check out Eversewn Sparrow machines. Excellent and all metal frame. The beginner model Sparrow 15 is under $200. They are excellent machines, the high end Sparrow 30 has all the newest features and is under $500.
The Eversewn Sparrow 30 is the machine I have looked at, I am thinking of buying a machine for classes. My LQS sells them, all metal and they told me they were developed by Phillip Ueltschj of the Berina family, these are quality machines starting around $150 for basic. The Sparrow 30 has needle up down, thread cutter, needle threaded and more for $400.