Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Do You Keep? >

How Many Do You Keep?

How Many Do You Keep?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:42 AM

Ditto here also, Jane.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 AM

I have no idea how many I have made, but have given one to just about all of my family members, and a few friends. I also offer them up for silent auctions several times a year. I have about 10 in my house at the moment - some will stay, some will go if I find a place for them. I surely don't need more, but will continue making them for no other reason that I like to.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MariaM View Post
I've only been making quilts for the past two years - mostly lap size, two baby quilts and one bed quilt. A total of 21 quilts along with a number of runners, table toppers and a set of place mats. Of those, I've given away five quilts and a few of the runners.

for some reason, I have trouble parting with them......
I, too, have trouble parting with mine. I never understood my brother keeping all his paintings, even though he had no space..... but now I definitely understand. We put so much of ourselves into them. Since my small family seems to only appreciate things that can be bought, they do not get them.

A few friends have gotten wall hangings, and I have participated in the wall hanging swap. Even that was hard - sending mine to someone else when I loved it - then I would get something more wonderful than mine and feel bad for the person who got mine!

I did have laugh the other day when someone posted an inquiry on sewing 10 inch squares together, and someone answered by sending a link to the MSQ site showing the, I think, Friendship Star quilt . I clicked that link and saw it and thought "I could never do anything that complicated !" The next day I pulled out two UFO tops I made late last year, and low and behold, one of them is the Friendship Star that I actually did make. Don't know that I can give that one away, either
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 AM

I don't have room to work on large projects, so I mostly make small items and things for swaps. I tend to work more learning different techniques at this time.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Most of the quilts I make to give away to family and friends and charity quilts. I have kept 2 quilts each for all three beds in house, and throw quilts on couches. I keep most of the wall hangings, though I've made double of some to give to daughters. So all in all, giveaways-too numerous to count and mine-8+. Love to sew, so just keep making them.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM

I love to quilt & do so most every day. With all the quilts I've made, I've given most away, but I've kept some that I really love. I haven't counted them, but am getting quite a stack. My husband has a large bed quilt & a lap robe that nearly covers our queen sized bed & I have a cold night quilt & a summer quilt without batting, then lots of various items we use show them off around our living area. I change things seasonally.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

When I look back through my quilt catalog, I find myself saying I should have kept that one, and that one, and that one. But then I am also grateful to be able to share my good fortune with others.

I only have a few of the projects from over twenty years of quilting.

peace
Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 PM

I give away baby quilts as I usually make them especially for someone. I have done a few twin sized charity quilts.
I have a hard time parting with the quilts I make. I was offered what I thought was real money for one of my wall hangings (The blue horse if anyone remembers) and I turned it down after a lot of thought because I couldn't bear to part with it.
I am running out of wall space though, so I may have to start thinking about what I'm going to do with all these. I can't see them just accumulating in my closet.

Watson
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 PM

Being pretty much a newbie, I can recite every quilt I've made thus far. I've made a baby quilt for my great niece back in 2002, a queen size whole cloth quilt hand embroidered as a wedding gift for one of my nephews, and a log cabin quilt I made for the son of a very dear friend of mine (a veteran who was seriously injured in Afghanistan), a baby quilt made with purchased embroidered appliques scattered all over it (hand quilted). I currently have four tops, one of which is for me. one is for my son, and two of them go to my two sisters. I now have everything in materials to complete them, so I just need to get busy and finish them. That's a lot easier said than done -- I have serious spinal issues, so I have to work a little while, rest, then try to work some more. The top I made for myself, is a monstrously large -- made as a spread for my queen-size bed, measures about 120 X 130". It's going to be a real bear to quilt that one, but it is mine. I also made a couple of baby boy appliqued quilts for two of my former boss's daughters last summer/fall, and in January completed a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt for the granddaughter of some friends. That's it! Oh, there've been a few table runners, and a lot of hand-stitched folded star potholders given to my sisters.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I have 3 bed sized quilts, our winter quilt, spring/ summer one and a fall one. Numerous small table toppers, runners etc. that I made specifically for us to keep. Recently I ( reclaimed) 4 quilts, 3 of them I had made for my mom, one for a very special aunt. Those 4 I’ve been struggling with figuring out what to do with.
Generally though when I start a new quilt I know what I will do with it, gift for someone, an occasion or a donation or a sale.