Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about super glue mess. >

Question about super glue mess.

Question about super glue mess.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Question about super glue mess.

I am hoping someone here has had the same problem I brought upon myself. I was super gluing something on my cupboard and got quite a spot on it. Actually several spots. I had the board on a paper but somehow I managed to miss the paper and it dried on the cupboard. Anyone have any ideas how to remove it. As the old saying goes, "it stuck like glue" Thanks for any advice or humor you can give me. Sharon
Old 03-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

What is the cupboard surface? I have had good luck using a razor blade sideways on my Formica but you would not want to do that on wood. If it is ceramic tile, I might try a Q Tip dipped in acetone ( nail polish remover) If you have any doubts on what to use without damaging the counter top, leave it alone and let it wear off.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Maybe a very gentle sanding with an emery board (if spot is small)?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM

It should depend on what the surface is and how much you are talking about Be really careful with the acetone. I've had good luck using it to remove super glue. But...it really did a number on my bathroom vanity when I knocked a bottle over, and the cover wasn't on tight. Ate right through the top surface, leaving it all pitted! Good luck!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks, it is 3 spots and one about the size of a penny. It is Formica. Someone told me to try baby oil too. Put a nice amount down and using a razor blade gently try to loosen it from the side. This helps to keep from scratching the surface. Will try that. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Somewhere on here, a reply to you mentioned baby oil. I've had good luck with baby oil by putting on a copius amount, then letting it sit overnight. The next day would try lightly scraping. Seems to me, I used baby oil to remove stickers from the car windows, also when a kid went to sleep overnight with chewing gum and woke up with hair stuck to the pillow. Those kids are grandparents now.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

I hate to say this but your cubbard is ruined and nothing short of a complete remodel will do! Seriously, how can you expect to function with this mess? Lol!!, ok...just kidding.... Have no clue how to remove that stuff but hoping someone's advice works out. You may want to check the internet via the brand name to see if they have "oops" advice.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

can you contact the manufacturer for advice on how to remove it?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Could you use Goo Gone to remove it? WD-40 might work too and I don't think it would damage the counter.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:17 AM

We use some stuff called Mxbon 105. It is stored in the freezer and keeps for years. Last time I bought 2 bottles was6 years ago and I still have 1 1/2 bottles left. A little drop will do you with this stuff. I use latex gloves now when I use, because I usually end up gluing my fingers together..lol

I haven't found a sure fire way of removing it from the skin other than letting wear off. If I get it on the counter by accident I use a sharp razor blade like from a paint scraper. I highly recommend placing cardboard under the item being glued to prevent getting problems.