Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Glue To The Rescue

If you suffer from the infliction that I'm about to address, this will be the best information you ever received.
    Those extremely painful little cuts or cracks on the tips of fingers and thumbs take forever to heal. If you use super glue to hold the skin together while they are healing you will receive instant relief from pain. You just need a little drop. Be careful that you don't glue your fingers together. I buy three tubes of super glue in a package at the dollar store for, you guessed it, a dollar.
    If that doesn't work, take an aspirin and call me in the morning.
    Dr. Patterson

wow! Yes I suffer from that. Tiny cuts and I feel like such a baby, however they get really sore and take a long time to heal.Got to try your method w/ super glue.
    THANKS SO MUCH!
    Chris

Works unless you have an allergy to anything in it.

DON'T, however, EVER EVER use it to glue a filling back in your tooth. I did that once, thinking that it would hold through the holidays then I'd go to the dentist. I'd have probably been alright if I'd actually done that but it held so well I forgot about it for quite some time. Even after the insurance paid their part I still had to shell out $300 for that cap and that was about 20-25 years ago.

Blog Entries
    LMBO My last surgery, they used a form of super glue instead of stitches... I have to say it did heal nicer than stitches or staples :D:D:D

I would hesitate to use super glue on anything other than a superficial cut, this is not sterile like what is used medically. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Doctors have been using it in place of stitches. When DH had surgery his incision was glued shut. It was a small incision, maybe two inches.

Blog Entries
    I use it on nicks in my fingernails (at the sides, where they take a long time to grow out). I have to replace it every so often, but it gives the nail a chance to grow a bit, and helps to stop the nick catching on everything along the way.

Banned
    Don't forget the duct tape! My plumber taught me this a couple years back when he gave himself a bad cut. I wanted to take him to urgent care, but he said this happens all the time. Glued the cut wrapped it with duct tape and went on with his work. I asked my daughter, the surgical nurse about this. She told me they use something just like super glue in the OR all the time. Go figure. I just hope I don't find out they use kitchen spoons too. :twisted: :hunf:

my son had a cut above his eye when he was about 5 they glued the cut shut but the glue also ran and glued his eye shut of about a week never did get a dr.bill for that one

Blog Entries
    I will never forget the time my husband did this on my finger.
    I ended up in the Emergency room.
    Should you ever want to do this PLEASE remember to CLEAN AREA well first.
    We didn't know at the time I had an infection from the tiny little cut.

Blog Entries
    Super glue originally was made for that on the battlefield, to hold people together until they could get them out to a medic. However, it contains arsenic, and should never be used in the mouth. Due to its composition, it is pure coming out of the tube.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use Super glue a lot on my cuts and the tips of my finger when they get split in this cold weather!

Also great to repair fingernails.

But yes, make sure the cut is clean first.

I use it on my fingernails too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I use it on nicks in my fingernails (at the sides, where they take a long time to grow out). I have to replace it every so often, but it gives the nail a chance to grow a bit, and helps to stop the nick catching on everything along the way.
    I do this also, with a tiny piece of tea bag material. Have done that for 40 plus years.

I used it once to glue my dental plate together after it broke in half..... Well it was Christmas Day and I had spent hours cooking the dinner I was certainly going to try to eat it. It did work for a couple of days but I cannot repeat what the dental technician said!! But goodness I didn't know it contained Arsenic!!

yes, works great for small cuts and for cracked nails. Just make sure the wound is shut all the way so the chemical in it isn't inside your skin. Doesn't band-aid have a super glue for that?
    Another one is new skin. When I was young, we were camping and I stepped on an axe...got a big cut, not deep, but my uncle pulled that out of his pocket and put it on it. It never got infected and there is no scar.

works great. A few years back dh was out of work, no insurance, and we weren't sure where groceries were going to come from that week. I had butchered one of the rabbits I had been raising and in the process laid my finger open. I let it bleed a good bit, washed it out, and then had dd superglue it. It healed fine and while there is a scar there I think there would have been regardless of who glued it.

I was over at my Vet's one day sev yrs ago, looking at a stray dog that she thought about keeping. Well he turned around & grabbed my thumb and boy did I get a nasty bite! She kept insisting that we go to the ER. I instead refused and washed it out with a good soap then held the gash shut while she did use Super Glue on it. I had to reapply ever couple of days until it healed completely but it was fine. Unfortunately since she did have kids, the dog had to be put down since he was a biter.

Blog Entries
    Good ol' super glue! I use it on my fingernails all the time since they have a habit of nicking on the sides and catching on everything. We also use it around the farm to treat cuts on our pets and livestock since it holds up to the outside elements. We put medical tape over it so that the animal (or other animals) can't lick the glue.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try that next time. I seem to get cuts on my fingers and knuckles where band-aids are hard to stay on.

The day after Thanksgiving my friend underwent triple bypass surgery. The suture line went from the bottom of his neck to just before his belly button; IT WAS SUPER GLUED. The scar looked great from the 3rd day post surgery, healed into a simple line at 1 1/2 months post. By the way he is 74yo, great healing.

Blog Entries
    Good advice Dr.

Blog Entries
    When i had my c sectiona nd my neck surgery, they super glued me back together too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    LMBO My last surgery, they used a form of super glue instead of stitches... I have to say it did heal nicer than stitches or staples :D:D:D

I would hesitate to use super glue on anything other than a superficial cut, this is not sterile like what is used medically. :wink:
    they used it for my total knee replacement on the 3rd.of jan. both knees are done and "super glued"!

Living in the cold mountains of NC, a friend of mine found that if she took extra zinc, she had no trouble with cracking. She also used Super Glue to glue the deep cracks until she discovered the zinc.

I also have used New Skin a number of times on small nips(Hairdresser for30 some years) , but if you had a cut with an Axe, I can only imagine how much that stung!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast