Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with thread shredding with Ruler foot >

Trouble with thread shredding with Ruler foot

Trouble with thread shredding with Ruler foot

Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 AM

Default Trouble with thread shredding with Ruler foot

Good Morning. I've been asked to demonstrate the new Angela Walters Handiquilter rulers at my local LQS during shop hop in May. So I purchased the Westalee ruler foot, and have been practicing. The problem is, my machine (Janome 6600) keeps skipping stitches, shredding thread, and somehow I end up with a loop of thread through the needle eye when the thread breaks.

I've changed the needle, cleaned the bobbin case and surrounding area, added a spot of oil to the 2 places I've been instructed to oil, changed thread and bobbin thread, rethreaded the machine, tinkered with the tension, adjusted the height of the ruler foot. What am I missing?

I'm very frustrated, as I have used my machine to FMQ for several years, and even use it to teach beginning free motion quilting at the LQS, and have never had this kind of trouble with stitches.( My anxiety is also steadily rising, because I am teaching a fmq class in just a couple weeks..... I need my machine working properly. ) It really isn't time for a spa day for my machine, as I had it in last in November...

Thanks for all your help.
Kris

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-29-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-29-2018, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

what type of needle are you using. this article may shed some light on the issue https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

and here is a previous QB thread about shedding
Need Help!!! thread is shredding
somewhere else [maybe FB?], I read that using the rulers requires a larger needle with a longer hole/eye
Old 03-29-2018, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I find with my Bernina ruler foot, I have to put it right down to almost touching the fabric to prevent skipped stitches. Try switching to a polyester thread to prevent shredding for your demo.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:59 AM
DJ

I've had that same problem. I think Sewer's Aid helps. I was advised to use a "quilting" needle. Hope you find the solution and share your experience in the class. Good luck!

Thanks QuiltNan for the links. I will be checking those out.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:13 AM

QuiltnNan, thanks for the information... I'm using a 90/14 Quilting needle... which is what I've always used. The thread is pretty fine, Connecting Threads 100 % poly. I've used it for years... in my 6600 and also with my Gammill charm.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:15 AM

Tartan, Yes to adjusting the ruler foot. I've tried it in all sorts of positions, then watched a video from Westalee showing that she can remove the foot entirely and still quilt with no tension problems.
I'm stumped.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Try a different thread. I would suggest Bottom Line or, if that doesn’t work, Glide. Connecting Threads poly was the only thread that consistently shredded in my mid arm machine.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM

Try a size 100 needle,loosen the tension,try a 40 weight thread,and don’t use a lot of pressure onto the ruler foot.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:19 AM

Many machines have stitch formation issues when a floating foot is used, particularly if it is too high off the surface. The machine that the westalee demonstrations are done on looks to me to be a Viking and may have a special setting for using a floating foot, the Sapphires do, don't know about hers.

Two of my machines are only happy with the floating foot if I lower it so that it is almost touching, which is quite a bit lower than where it gets set if you use the shim that came with the foot to set its height.

You might look into the Janome convertible free motion foot, I use that one on my Brother PQ1500s. For ruler work I also had to buy the frame quilting foot set to get the ruler foot that attaches to the convertible free motion foot. That set up has a thumb screw that allows you to adjust the height in tiny increments, which is handy when coming to thicker seams that would otherwise cause it to hang up.

Rob