Veggie Garden

Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Default Veggie Garden

Anyone doing any gardening? I just planted about 10 different veggies. All are growing good for now, but I don't really know what i'm doing. lol I went to a nursery and the nice lady gave me about 50-60
3 gallon pots for transplanting my seedlings. I'm in the middle of transplanting now. The covered all the plants when the rain hit, but some were really beat up. I already have 5 beans. and a carrot about a half inch long. lol any tips or tricks ? Syl
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 PM

Far too early in the season to plant veggies here. I have rhubarb coming up, new strawberry and raspberry plants to put in tomorrow. Plus a Kiwi vine that is supposed to be self fertile.

In May I will plant Scarlett Runner beans, I eat them when they are still thin. 4-5 tomato plants in big pots and perhaps a couple peppers. Basil in pots and a new Rosemary plant. A couple spaghetti squash plants and one zucchini plant will round out the garden.

I have a cherry, plum and two apple trees, plus a pear tree that only gives a couple pears each year. Lastly are the blueberry plants.

I love fruit bearing plants, they take little maintenance and provide food year after year.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

For the last three years we've been having problems with critters. They even eat my annuals but they don't seem to like my perennials, which I have more of.
This year my husband has some new ideas for protection- again! lol
He bought a trap that doesn't hurt them and caught all kinds of critters then took them for a ride to a spot to let out. But we still were out-smarted by animals.
It's discouraging when you plant and don't get to harvest!!! I had some gorgeous zinnias that they would eat and only in the Fall did I get any.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 AM

I mostly work with my flowers garden, my husband works with the veggies. This year has been strange, hardly no rain in the winter and have had a good deal of rain in March and now in April. We live kind of down hill from our street and our planting area has been flooded. He has about 10 flats of 4 different tomatos, 4 different chile peppers, 2 different squash. He has transplanted some from a 6 pack into 4 inch pots until he can get them in the ground, and just this week the dirt was dry enough to start being worked up and has planted 2 flats.

He sells tomatoes during the summer in his self serve stand, and most people look forward to his tomatos.
We have plenty of fruit trees, apricot, peach, necturines, pomegrantes, cherry, figs, orange, tangelo, grapefruit, lemons, kumquat and one grape plant.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:43 AM

I keep thinking about my garden and am anxious to get out there digging in the dirt again but with Mother Nature dumping another major winter storm on us again this April, I will be waiting longer. Yesterday we had rain, freezing rain and sleet, today it is snow. Possibly 6 inches. We have not been warm enough for ground to thaw so there are now frozen puddles everywhere under the snow. With all that it is windy too. Grandson called this morning to tell us his all electric house has no power. Ok, me the snow lover is done with her rant, thanks for listening. I will plant my garden went ever spring/summer arrives. Thankful I have power, heat and no place to go.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Mine has been in the ground since mid March; tomato plants have blooms on them. The garden didn't do didly last year; this year I put ground up egg shells and some epsom salts in the holes and mixed it with the dirt before planting; they are doing 'better'. Who knows if produce will materialize. I started saving all my egg shells; rinse them out and let them dry. Then when you get a bunch I put them in the blender and pulverize them. Almost to a powder. Then store them in a mason jar. Will see how it goes come end of summer. Given we don't get much rain I had to plant early and they maybe fried from the sun/heat come July. I DO have my garden area fenced in, so far, critter wise, it's been fine for many years. Good luck. You might get your soil checked to see what it might be missing nutrient wise. You might have to add something to help things grow better.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM

When greenhouses open up, I buy my tiny tomato plants and transplant them into larger containers like cottage cheese size. They get a good start in the sun room until I transplant outside after frost. I pinch off the lower branches & lay the plant down in a trench, bury all but the top 3-4 inches. Makes for good root system. This year, instead of using a row for lettuce & spinach, I will tuck a few seeds around other things and keep replanting as we use it. I love Spring !
Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 AM

My grandmother used to dry out egg shells on the wood stove, break them up, but not pulverize and place around her plants to discourage slugs. By using heat to dry the shells, they got very hard and were too sharp for the slugs to go over.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:32 AM

It's still way too cold up here but I'm looking forward to a small garden again this year. Fresh zucchini, tomato and onion sauted in a pan with a little fresh basil......pure bliss!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

It is snowing here with deep drifts. It will be awhile before the ground warms up enough to plant.