Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 AM

Teen, have you seen this thread. https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...~-t304038.html It's called Monet's Wedding Ring. By Judy Martin. It is a different but nice take on the traditional Wedding Ring Quilt.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:18 AM

You're very welcome Littlecanvases! I'll PM you.

Nita, it depends on the skill level. Though......if you're in for an adventure, almost everything goes. Long Time Gone is a beginner pattern, it's straight forward piecing. So is Green Tea Sweat Beans, but this one has quite some appliqué.
Gypsy Wife is also straight forward piecing, but you need the second edition of the book for the right size of the strips. MSW doesn't have any Y seams either. You have to read those patterns very carefully to find out if the measurements given are finished sizes or not. So lots of possibilities here.
I myself started with GW because I saw that pattern a long time ago and always wanted to make it. Then I found out she has lots of other patterns too and I was hooked
Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Thank you, Judith!! Very cool version and likely a lot simpler to do.

Welcome, Littlecanvases!! I love the Glimmer pattern. That's on my bucket list, too! Lovely colors! There are so many cute projects in the Quilt Lovely book. I made one of the pillows but I want to make one of the quilts in that book, too.

Nita....so many possibilities to chose from. My GW is kitted and ready to go.. I'll look forward to seeing your progress whichever pattern you chose to begin. Good luck...and just dive right in.....it's a lovely journey! I had a ball making GTSB and Happy Birds quilt patterns.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:25 AM

I was at a quilt shop today and almost purchased another Jen Kingwell pattern. Then I thought about what I already have and still has to be done or finished so I didn't. I was lucky she doesn't have the Meadow pattern otherwise I would have bought it. Now I only bought Urban Owls by Wendy Williams. Not a Kingwell this time
Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Good restraint!!!! I bought Meadows a couple of weeks ago...lol...
Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Noooooooooooo you did??? I almost purchased Bring me Flowers but I didn't........I like Meadows better. She's going to try and order it for me......LOL
Old 04-07-2019, 04:03 AM

Thanks for your advice, Anael. As far as skill level goes, my ability to piece accurately is fairly good. Though I can easily become frustrated with poorly written patterns and herein lies the problem: IMHO, Gypsy Wife is poorly written (Yes, I do have the 2nd edition book). And I get bored making big sampler quilts ... thus the reason that I gravitate more toward art and landscape quilts. But I have fallen in love with Gypsy Wife and hope to someday get around to making it. I am also intrigued by My Small World and think I might go ahead and purchase that pattern as well. I looked at the other patterns you listed, but I'm just not "feeling the love" with them, so not tempted to by. I have so many quilt patterns and a long Bucket List of To-Do projects ... sigh.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:57 AM

You're welcome Nita.
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing which sometimes isn't clear with Kingwell patterns is if there is a seam allowance included or not. With GW it's not a problem, at least I didn't have any problems with those blocks.
GW is different from other samplers because it's not all blocks, unlike Long Time Gone. Bakers Dozen is quite the same. I understand why you don't love those patterns.
My Small World is a fun one and you can totally adjust it to your liking and make it your world
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 AM

She's creating her own small world. I guess I need to find something else to do now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 08.04.2019.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 AM

I think your small world needs to have a black kitty worked in somewhere on it. lol

Looks like your little helper is holding down the fort.