Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about red fabric >

Question about red fabric

Question about red fabric

Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM

Thank-you coopah for info regarding Quilting Treasures red fabric. Just as a side note, I always use color catchers because my son most always wears red polos. They are washed in cool/cold water and I can't believe the "pink" color catcher that I take out of the washer. These polos have been washed many times!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I don't wash my fabrics before cutting but I do starch them so they're dipped into my dishpan full of starch, then run thru my wringer and hung to dry. Then I spritz them with water and press them. Normally if they're going to bleed, it will happen during my starching. Once my quilt is finished I usually put it thru the washer with a color catcher so whomever I give the quilt to won't be startled the 1st time they wash it.

Once after I washed a quilt I didn't see the red bleed onto the white so I thru it into the dryer. Thought for sure it was ruined but someone here said to put it thru the washer again with another color catcher and sure enough the red bleed came out so all was good with the world again.
I'm intrigued! Tell me more about this thing you call a "wringer" in this day and age. Have you salvaged an oldie but goodie?
Old 08-04-2018, 10:21 AM

I always pre wash then use color catchers in a second wash for dark colors.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Purchase good quality red fabric and test it ( use a white paper towel or piece of muslin, wet it & rub it to see if the red comes off on the white. If it does— prewash it if it passes the test then go ahead. I love red & use a lot of it- in 20 years I’ve only had one run— and my mom used some particular harsh detergent that pretty much took the color out of everything.
i love Kona solids they seem to be very stable ( but there are knock offs that claim to be Kona - but are not, the fake ones bleed like crazy)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Bleeding of the dye can occur in the highest quality fabric -- that's just a fact. If I'm using a red, you can just about bet I'll treat it with a dye fixative. I always prewash my fabric because I have asthma and the chemicals in the fabric will almost always precipitate an asthma incident or even an attack. I've found that MOST reds will bleed -- but all colored fabrics could bleed. I just don't take a chance. I test them and if there's even the slightest hint that the fabric will bleed, I will treat. Just washing doesn't always remove the excess dye, and I have tried every home remedy that I've ever heard of and they just don't work, including epsom salts, vinegar (2 gallons worth for borders for a single quilt, but it still bled), so I use what I know will work. And, since discretion is the better part of valor, I always use color catchers in the wash. I was taught when I was very young that it's better to be safe than sorry! I subscribe to that theory! I always buy the best fabric I can afford so I take whatever precautions I need to so that the quilts I make show that I care. I do not make huge numbers of quilts, but the ones I make will last!