Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué scissors recommendations? >

Appliqué scissors recommendations?

Appliqué scissors recommendations?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Appliqué scissors recommendations?

Does anyone have a pair of appliqué scissors to recommend (or not recommend)? Comments on the general subject also welcome!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Are you asking about the duck bill applique scissors or the Kie serrated blade scissors?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM

It depends on the type of applique. I like small thin ones for cutting out fused applique like the second pair shown here (green 4 inch).

For machine EMB applique I like these. They get into tight corners. I hold the fabric almost straight up and trim close.
http://www.havelssewing.com/snip-eze...ors-33010.html

I don't like the duck bill ones for machine EMB as I don't get close enough.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM

I was thinking of the duckbill ones, but I'm willing to take advice and comments on any scissors anyone is using that would be good for cutting around tiny pieces. I used to have a small pair of scissors that I could use, but lately I've just been using my sewing scissors.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Kari are the best I have come across not terribly expensive and come in several sizes. My preference are straight blade four inch I think they are the smallest, better than my Ginger’s also handle fusible appliqué well too. They cut a very clean line. A curved blade is available too although not my personal preference. Good luck
Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 PM

I like the floriani duckbill and the karen kay buckley red curved scissors
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM

I've got a pair of Gingher's duckbilled ones and a pair of extremely sharp straight 4" Olfa appliqué scissors-- I love both of them and both get used for collage and appliqué.
Rob
Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 PM

I am new to machine embroidery applique, but I have been doing a little research, and these are the scissors that I bought, based on recommendations that I found on YouTube. Both pair are about 6 1/2" long and they both have curved handles. The first are a pair of Gingher duck-billed scissors. They are supposed to be great for insuring that you don't cut your fabric underneath the appliqued piece. The other pair are supposed to be wonderful for getting into hard to reach places. I bought the second pair from Amazon. I don't remember what brand they were. I am not a good photographer, but I tried to show the curved tip on the second pair. Now these are for machine embroidery applique. When I cut out applique pieces by hand (without the use of an embroidery machine), I like to use a small pair of scissors (3 1/2") with a curved tip and also a small pair of scissors with large holes for my fingers. I have small hands, but I like to have plenty of room for my fingers when I cut small items.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180711_180417.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM

Oops! For some reason my other photo didn't load.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180711_180636.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

I do a lot of machine embroidery applique, and just machine embroidery in general. I use squeezers, same thing as the Havels link shown above. I have straight blade and curved blade ones, different brands bought from different places. After using these just once I bought a pair to have at every machine in use in the house. If you have arthritis in your hands these are so much easier to use than scissors. For applique I use the curved blade, it allows me to get right up the threads without cutting through them.

Cari