Been there - done that -

Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Default Been there - done that -

Some of us jumped/plunged into quilting big-time - we may have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment and supplies

And then comes a day when we just don't care about it any more.

For whatever reason - health, something else is more interesting, family issues - all this stuff is around that is no longer useful, or interesting.

Why should one feel guilty about moving on? One can take a trip/vacation - spend the money - when the trip is over - the money is gone and only the memories remain (unless you are a photographer or buyer of zillions of souvenirs).

The point of this post is - if one has lost interest in quilting (or whatever hobby) - in most cases, it's okay to let it go.

IMO.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:13 AM

True. I had several 'crafts' I did before retirement and moving. So I gave away $$$ worth to others whom I hoped enjoyed the crafts. One friend did pass it on to others to enjoy as a new neighbor did here after we moved. At age of 76 this year, there is a limit to time and money and I hate to see anything of value tossed, so I pass it on as I can. Postage rates are so high, I cannot ship like I used too, so some boxes are on hold until I figure out how to work it into the budget. Best budget keeper is to not go to town or shop on internet. Still machine quilt and have a large stash to work with in my hobby of quilting...no LA for me, but I know a few in the local area, so no problems in getting the tops done, if we have the money.

Retirement cut our income by 55%, so we are still adjusting to less spending money, more what we need, instead of what we want. and I spent more time quilting, reading and cooking for dh.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I think I have tried most craft/sewing/ yarn etc. activities and the one that holds my interest is quilting. If that ever changes, I will have no trouble letting it go. Life is short, do what brings you joy!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Absolutely agree! And having been the recipient of much generosity, you can pass along fabrics , notions and knowledge to start others on this wonderful journey like it did for me! I used to be somewhat of an artist until small kids and a smaller house hampered that!

Fill your life with trying many wonderful crafts - you can always go back to them when you want.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 AM

I never spent thousands on any hobby, but I did spend a hundred on supplies for watercoloring several years ago. Then I found out I have no talent for it. I lost interest but I kept the paints and paper in case I run out of stash and books and get bored. If I run into someone who could use my painting stuff, I would give it to them.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Years ago, when I was younger I had a lot of hobbies, along with three kids then a job. Now I am down to one hobby that I love and want to do until I can no longer do it. That is quilting, mostly making quilts for children in foster care in my county. If I could take my last breath as I finish a quilt that would be perfect for me.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I like this thought. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:21 PM

My 12 year old Granddaughter just made her first quilt... I am so proud.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I use to crochet when my kids were young and I had little money to spare. Then I went to cross stitch. Then watercolor painting, then pottery making. Seems each new interest cost more then the next. Then I found quilting and never went back to the other hobbies. If I find another hobby I won't have any thought about getting rid of my quilting items. No use for them if I'm not doing it. Money is to make you happy to spend it, after bills are paid and savings account is full. LOL
Old 07-13-2018, 05:42 PM

I have several hobbies, and am not quite ready to give away any of my "stuff". So far I have been able to balance doing what I choose. I have a big stash, notions, machine, do-dads, rulers, and spend most of my free time quilting. I also love button art, and have a large button collection. I have a lot of scrap-booking supplies, and have several books in various stages, always adding something that strikes my fancy. I love making floral arrangements, so I have alot of floral/foam/wire etc. I have tackled upholstery when the opportunity presented itself. Genealogy has taken me on a virtual trip around the world. Tartan is right...life is short - do what you love!