Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt journal question. >

Quilt journal question.

Quilt journal question.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 AM

I started one...does that count? I have kept notes and fabric swatches in it from larger projects but do not keep track of all the baby quilts I make...but I am now putting labels on my quilts. ��
Old 10-22-2018, 05:23 AM

I have albums of my quilts. I only forgot to add 1 that I sent to my DIL in Texas. I need to ask her to send me a picture.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

When I started quilting I told myself to be sure to make a journal or something but still haven't done it many years later! My kids know I make the quilts. I'm the only quilter in my entire family.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM
DJ

I keep track of all my crafts by posting pictures on my blog with a short comment. I've only been doing that for a few years, though. Some of my older crafts haven't been documented as well.

It's extremely helpful when I want to go back and see what/when I've made something and who I gifted it to.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM

The only time I journal anything about my quilts is when I take them to the LA quilter. I would forget which ones I took if I didn't record it.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 AM

I use a quilt software program called QuiltAlbum to document my quilts. I also keep a folder on my computer that has all the pictures of my quilts. Here's a link to the software program I use ............. http://quiltalbum.com/
Old 10-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Not sure it's the same thing, but I recently made a little book, called a Photobook, of the quilts I have made to date, with a written description. It is softcover, about 8x8 and is professionally done. It was done on a graphics programme on the computer and I just had to drop the pictures in and write the text in.

You could make it as easy or as elaborate as you wanted to.

It had 20 pages (so, 40 pages, really) and was cheap because they had a 70% off sale. I think I paid less than $20.00 CDN with the shipping.

Here's the cover and a sample of a couple of the pages.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602922[/ATTACH]

Watson
Attached Thumbnails bookcollage.jpg  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 AM

I keep a journal on my desktop. I was only putting a photo, the size, the type of batting, the date completed and who it was for. However, I have had to repair two of my gifted quilts for great granddaughters and realized that I could have used more information.

With the flannel or fleece backing - would have like to know what type and where I bought it!
With the FMQ thread - would have liked to have known brand and type of thread (cotton or poly)!

The more information, the better IMHO. It does take time but I have referred back to my notes several times.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 AM

I try to photograph any and all projects and keep an album by year on the computer (backed up on two separate computers) and occasionally print pictures for a flip through album. I label all gifted quilts, even family. I noticed the only ones that aren't labeled are the ones I have LOL I don't keep any fabric information and write changes in the pattern on the original pattern, not kept with the photos. I'm lucky I get pictures and occasionally miss one of those.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Jan Marie, I like your thoughtful signature.

I don't keep a journal, per se, but I have a quilting friend and we exchange emails about our work as we progress. They are archived and searchable, so that if I want to see when she made her Sunbonnet Sue quilt or I started the Summer in the Park one, it's easy to pull up the information. I usually take pictures of my progress and finished project and save them in a folder on my computer, which I try to remember to back up occasionally. The pictures are automatically date stamped, so that helps me to keep track of what I did when. Most often my quilt labels are just my initials and the year, but if it's a gift for someone I add other information, such as a baby's name and birthdate, for example, and a picture of that goes into my "completed quilts" folder, also. I don't think of my quilts as heirlooms, and don't make anything that I would offer up for judging in a show. My main objective is to make things that will be used and enjoyed until they wear out. The process of quilting is a form of recreation for me. I keep this sort-of record so that I can look back and hopefully see that I'm progressing in some way and that my efforts produced something tangible. Sifting through it helps me to get motivated to get back to work whenever I hit a motivational slump.