Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gift of EQ8; any help of additional info ? >

gift of EQ8; any help of additional info ?

gift of EQ8; any help of additional info ?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Exclamation gift of EQ8; any help of additional info ?

I received a gift of EQ8 for Xmas...Wow! I know many of you use it. I need to know any aids
to learning more to use it. Everyone is so helpful here and I need help Please!!

Ikesgram

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 AM

I am still using EQ7. I bought the EQ7 books with lessons for making and designing blocks and quilts. They were extremely helpful.

EQ is usually very good about their built in lessons. Have you watched those? If you are still confused, then maybe you should order this. https://electricquilt.com/online-sho...for-beginners/ Also, look at the designing quilts books.

Edited to add: EQ frequently has sales that are 20 or 25% off. Might be a good time to order 1 or more of the lesson books.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-02-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Google EQ8 videos on YouTube and watch them all. Take your digital manual to the copy store and print the whole thing out. I found doing this to be very helpful since i could then sit down with the manual to read and study it, bookmark, and make notes. Be kind and patient with yourself and try to learn a little each day!
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I think there's an EQ tutorial on this board, but the advanced search function is broken so I can't find it. I don't know what version of EQ was covered in the lessons.

I think the main way to learn EQ8 is to use it, use it, use it. Use the online lessons and manual and ask questions on this forum. Here's a thread for that - EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think there's an EQ tutorial on this board, but the advanced search function is broken so I can't find it. I don't know what version of EQ was covered in the lessons.

I think the main way to learn EQ8 is to use it, use it, use it. Use the online lessons and manual and ask questions on this forum. Here's a thread for that - EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!
Yes, I did find some earlier today, it was Rhonda who did them.... I couldn't believe it was in 2011 ...time passes quickly. I think most of the info was for EQ 5,6, and 7... but some of that may pertain to the 8 as well?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:32 PM

The program has tutorials built right into it. Well, at least EQ7 did. I haven't checked EQ8 because I just jumped right in, no tutes necessary.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:36 PM

first, sign up for their emails for blog and newsletter--you will get their free monthly downloads of projects and fabrics, plus the monthly "lesson" And most important--notice of sales. As soon as the books are 20-25% off (they do this several times per year) purchase the lesson books--design a block; design a quilt; design more quilts. The paper "manual" is nice but the lesson books really provide step-by-step info and are organized so that when you decide to do the type of design in the lesson you can easily find that design lesson and use it--great reference! I go back often to lessons I'm done in past (i.e. different size blocks in a quilt lesson whenever I am planning a t-shirt quilt).

Also--most fabric manufacturers have a way for you to download swatches of new lines for use in EQ--and EQ will tell you how to re-size the panels etc. so usable.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 AM

My best recommendation is just playing with it to start off - and doing so often! Download the Quick Start guide. While some of it is not useful if you already have it downloaded - it does have a starting lesson on easy quilts, setting up the workspace to your liking, explains the way block colorings are "stacked, what the layers are used for, what "tools" are available and what they do .... etc.

There are a series of printable lessons under "help" (you need to be connected to the web to do that). There is also a link to videos there as well. All very useful when just starting. There are also, as quiltingshorttimer said, lesson books on the EQ site. I bought one of the EQ7 ones before my update, really liked it and still use it for EQ8 as a review at times. Also- I agree - sign up for the blog - lots of useful information in them with the option to print (I print to pdf and save them on my computer).! Last but not least are all the wonderful members here. The collective knowledge of this group is amazing! Good luck with it and remember - have fun with it!
Old 01-03-2019, 06:18 AM

I have EQ8. Their website has links to other sites with many tutorials. They also have books with lessons. I’m taking online classes from Kari Schell (onpointquilter). She explains things very well. I highly recommend her classes.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM

quiltingshorttimer I was intrigued by your comment that fabric manufacturers make fabric swatches available for download. Can you share links, or more info on how to do this? It would be so much better than buying the CD's of all sorts of fabrics, instead of being able to select the ones you want. Thanks in advance!