Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board. >

My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board.

My Rowenta iron just dumped all of the water on my ironing board.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 AM

I have a Black & Decker digital advantage iron - about $40. Just got a new one yesterday. My first one just up and died after 2 years. For the price, and as much as I use it, I replaced it with exactly the same one. No leaking, plenty hot, quick to recover (after auto shut off which I do want).
Old 01-04-2019, 04:53 AM

i bought me an Olso touch iron 1800 watts i really like it, for my self for christmas.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:52 AM

I used a Singer at a retreat, liked it, bought one. It gets hot, has auto shutoff, which I like. I use tap water in it, easy to clean, cost around $50 at JoAnns.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:19 AM

Spring water is the content of many bottled waters. I have had more irons in my sewing years that I can mention. Some were expensive and others cheap. They just don't last. I've also had lots of coffee pots! I, like someone above, consider them a consumable. I want good steam and I want automatic shut off. I buy cheap ones and just pitch them when they cease to function properly. I think I buy a new one about every two years. I figure that is about $1 a month.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 AM

I honestly don't understand why an expensive iron is needed. I have two sunbeams and have had them for years with no problem. I never fill my iron with water but spray my fabric with either plain tap waster or starch. I have seen so many post regarding problems with the Rowenta irons I am surprised they have not taken them off the market.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

I have an oliso iron, love, love, love it. It's a little pricey but I don't put water in it either I use the spray bottle.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:23 AM

No matter the brand, if using water in your iron, do not use Spring Water or tap water or distilled water. They all have minerals. Use filtered water. I get a gallon from a local restaurant. It has been filtered ten times. Never had a problem with my Rowenta or other irons since I started using filtered water. I suppose you could use one of the filtering pitchers and put the water through it numerous times. It is the lime, calcium and minerals that building up and make our lives miserable when ironing.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:27 AM

I have the Velocity iron and love it. It is a heavy iron but the steam generator is awesome. I've had this iron for 3 years and it has never spit, splattered and not even the slightest leak. It has the auto-shut off feature but it's never been a bother. This feature can be turned off if desired. Expensive? Yes but worth every penny. After purchasing 3 Rowenta irons in a row after each leaked faster than I could iron I would never buy another one.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM

I have a dry iron that was inexpensive that I bought from the Company Store. I was searching for an iron that did not have an automatic shutoff, and it was hard to find. I use a spray bottle and a dry iron, I never trust steam irons anymore
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 AM

I also had a Rowenta. Dumped it when it started leaking, no steam. Would i buy another? Yes, but not the one made in China. I will buy the one made in Germany.