counter top ice maker

Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 AM

We have an ice maker in the fridge, no problems with it. We buy ice for coolers and champagne bucket when we need it.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I have never had the line inside the fridge freeze up in any of my fridges ice makers or no leaks. The line should be empty after water is dispensed for ice making. Maybe it's the model of fridge that has the problem. I do know a metal line is much better then plastic tubing coming from the sink hook up. Most new fridges have a built in filter. We by passed that and put a filter in the metal line going to the ice/water. It does a better job and much cheaper to replace. $12 vs $49 per filter.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:52 AM

When the new refrigerator was delivered, the delivery men leveled it etc but told us they’re not allowed to attach the hook up for the ice maker. We had to do it so that tells me it’s just an accident waiting to happen. It worked about 2 years then died.

We had a refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer in our old house for many years with not one problem. Before leaving for work in the morning, I would put a package of frozen meat in the sink and dump ice on top. When I came home, the meat was thawed but cold.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 AM

I have one and love it. It's great for every day use. However, if you need a lot of ice for a party you may want to start a few days earlier emptying the bin every few hours and save it in a large Tupperware bowl in your freezer, as the ice machine only stores a few cups at a time.The reason we bought one is because every time we bought a refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer, the icemaker was always the first thing to go. We'd buy the replacement cartridges but they cost more than the tabletop icemaker. So now our icemaker in the freezer is taking up a lot of space but not working.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
thanks for the comments everyone I will now take it off my want list and continue with bagged ice...........
I see that most people don't like them.Well I Love mine. The one in the fridge kept going out and the parts/repairs were expensive . The last time it went out I said enough and bought a counter one. It will fill up the basket it comes with really fast. You can then dump it into the fridge dispenser or just use it from the machine. I usually fill it with water once a day. keep in mind it is not a freezer the ice will get melty if you don't use the ice. Like overnight. If I am having company I fill up the dispenser in the fridge and keep filling it it as it get used. I don't have a lot of counter space so it sits on a corner of my kitchen table.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-04-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM

I have no experience with standalone ice makers. Our ice maker is in the freezer of our fridge and it's great. 7 years and still problem free. We opted not to get the dispenser for water and ice on the fridge door, as we know nobody that has a working dispenser. Which tells me, they have a high failure rate and it's too costly to repair. On-line reviews indicated the dispensers were nothing but trouble.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 PM

I bought an ice machine as I hate lugging nags if ice home, especially in the summer. But I also used to hate filling up the stupid ice trays that came with our refrigerator. I’ve never had an in-door ice maker. So - I discover d silicon ice cube makers. I have them in a regular cube size, and also ones in the giant size which I really love. It’s easy to pushing he bit timid each cube and it eventually pops out - the big ones can be a little difficult but I call it my exercise😁😁😁😁. I also have the ones that make long skinny “cubes” that fit into three water bottles. Fun if I actually remember to use them. I truly hated the old time ones where you had to pull up a lever in the middle. It was really hard to do! But back to the ice machine, I used it a few times with bottled water, but the cubes were kind if small and it was a pain to use. I think I may donate mine and get another kitchen appliance I will actually use!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 PM

I have a 24' Kenmore side by side refrigerator/freezer with ice/water dispenser in the door that was purchased in 1995/96. Never had a problem and I always have as much ice as I need. I Hate ice trays. My daughter has had 2 (maybe 3) refrigerators in the last 20 years and not one of them made enough ice. She had a counter top ice maker - don't know where it is now.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-05-2019 at 03:29 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-05-2019, 02:54 AM

We have two portable ice makers. We keep one in our trailer and one at our cabin. We love them. They immediately start making ice. You do have to empty the bin tray. The ice will melt if left in. These do not freeze ice, they just make the cubes. You still have to store them in your freezer. We put the ice in zip locks bags. Works great!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM

We’ve had an ice maker in our fridge for years. Never had a problem with out first fridge. Our second fridge is totally different. We have had the ice maker repaired twice. Our service guy said fixing ice makers is what he does all day every day. I would go to trays but DH likes the ice maker ice.