Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM >

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Default Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

This is the first time I am attempting to quilt on my DSM. I've always either rented time on a long arm or sent them out. The problem is, I'm not sure how to even start. I've got the back, batting, and top layered. I tried to safety pin them together but that produced a million puckers. I looked on Youtube but I didn't find a video that told me the very basics. Can anyone recommend a video for someone completely new to this like me or give me some hints? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 AM

When putting together my quilt sandwich I do it on my tile floor. I put the backing down first (right side facing the floor). Then I tape one side to the floor & then go to the opposite side & "stretch" the backing & tape that side down. Then I go to the next side, tape it down, got to it's opposite side & "stretch" it & tape it down. Now my backing is taunt. Then I layer my batting smoothly. The I put on my quilt top (right side facing up) and go through the same steps as I do for the backing. Then I pin baste it. I've used basting spray before in addition to pins but I don't really like to use the spray. I've not had any problems with puckering when I do it this way.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 AM

I do as osewme does only I do it on my cutting table using giant binder clips to hold everything in place. I start with the center of the quilt - regardless of size. Clip all sides down then pin. When I have the center section pinned I slide the whole thing off to one side and repeat. Keep sliding it around on the table until I have the entire sandwich pinned.

Beats crawling around on the floor plus I don't have that much open floor space!
Old 07-13-2019, 11:29 AM

I also tape the backing down but I do it at church on their tables in the dining hall. then I baste with needle and thread,. That's seems to work better for me than trying to deal with all those pins. And I don't seem to have any puckers.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 PM

I use spray baste . Easier to reposition fabric when puckers happen. No pins to worry about sewing over or removing. Work the basting in quadrants, starting from the middle and smoothing it all out as you go.

How big a throat does your machine have? How big is this quilt? If throat is less than 11”, I recommend using a walking foot and do straight line quilting from the center out. If 11” throat or more, FMQ and roll up the excess quilt under the throat to manage the bulk (again, starting in middle and working out, so you don’t get puckers.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 PM

I’m doing table runners by pinning. I also do 10” practice sandwiches which I cut down to 9” and make potholders. When I get confidence, I’ll move to a crib quilt size. I think people have good results with slightly watered down Elmer’s school glue so I’m interested in trying that. I took a class on DSM Quilting at LQS. Teacher was not owner or employee but customer who had been doing it for 7-8 years. She said it won’t be perfect so don’t stress out. Some patterns/fabric/colors can be very forgiving.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM

I overkill it. I spray baste and pin. I work on my ironing surface the way you would iron a sheet. I put the batting down and then iron and spray in sections the front to the batting. Any excess spray lands on the batting. Then I trim the batting to the front, flip and iron and spray the backing. Once it's a sprayed sandwich, I go back and pin about 12 inches apart. I have a Juki 2010. I have found that the pinning helps hold it all together from the tugging and pulling thru the machine.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Look at LeahDay.com. She has some of the most basic info for getting started on your DSM for quilting. She also has videos on YouTube. I think her instructions are easy to follow and she will tell you how to set up your machine, how to make your quilt sandwich and do basic designs to get started. She does now sell some items on her website but still has lots of free info. You will want to do some practice pieces before you start on your completed quilt.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I second looking at Leah Day.com. She is very thorough and easy to follow. When you lay your backing out, don't pull it, or it will bounce back and cause puckers. Just make it very smooth and "taut" but not stretched. I glue baste with Elmer's washable school glue and don't ever have any puckers and don't need to get down on the floor. And when dry does not gum up the needle. I'm over 20 quilts in with it.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:49 PM

I spray baste on the floor. I line the three layers up and then fold the top two back and start spraying from the middle going up to the top for each layer and then from the middle going down to the bottom for each layer, carefully smoothing as I go. My excess backing on the edges gets folded over onto the top and pinned to keep the edges firmly together when pushing/pulling through the machine.

I then quilt any continuous seam lines of large sections in the ditch from the centre out to stabilise the whole quilt and then I can quilt each section.

I have used this method for any size from table topper to full quilt.