Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Labrinth Walk quilting suggestions for an "Old/New" Quilter >

Labrinth Walk quilting suggestions for an "Old/New" Quilter

Labrinth Walk quilting suggestions for an "Old/New" Quilter

Old 09-15-2019, 05:06 PM

Default Labrinth Walk quilting suggestions for an "Old/New" Quilter

First time posting, please be gentle. I need help. I'm an "Old/New" quilter. I took a quilting class in 1988. I made a basic queen size sampler quilt. I ended up tieing it as I didn't have time to hand quilt it. I made another sampler in the early 1990's, queen sized, pieced in 3 months while sitting at traffic lights on the way to and from work. Again, I chose to tie it.

I made a baby quilts in 1997 and 2000 for each of my daughters. These, I hand quilted.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617421[/ATTACH]

Then life happened, full time work, home school, raising 2 children with hubby. About a 1 1/2 yrs ago I finally made a bear paw quilt top for oldest daughter. She saw it and remarked she loved the colors but didn't like the pattern. Fine, I would give it to the youngest- she loved the pattern but didn't like the color. OK, hubby was next- "It doesn't do anything for me." So... I have a quilt named "The Quilt No One Wanted" that I just love. I will be honest, I got discouraged, packed the top away and it never got quilted.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617422[/ATTACH]

Last month I decided I wanted to finally make the Labyrinth Walk quilt pattern I had purchased. I sat down and made it. It is SO far from perfect but it brought me such joy to make it. THIS one everybody loves and wants but it's for Christmas (imperfections and all) for my youngest daughter. I need advice on quilting it. I'm considering having someone machine quilt it since I don't have time to hand quilt it as I already have 2 other quilts in the tubes for Christmas.

My questions are, what patterns would you use to quilt it? An all over pattern? Stitch in the ditch? Also, can you give me a very rough ballpark idea of how much it should cost to have a queen size quilt quilted? I'm almost ashamed to have someone see it on one hand but honestly, I just love this one and want it to be completely finished unlike the other top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617420[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.
Liz
Attached Thumbnails labrynth-walk-2019.jpg   corrin-2000-tori-1997-kenya-2019.jpg   bear-paw-2017.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 PM

I love your quilt! Excellent color choices with depth.
Since it is a linear constructed quilt, I'd SITD. I'd view the quilt collection on this board to see what others chose & go on line to view other ways to quilt it. Looking forward to see it finished!!!
hugs,
dj
Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Hello Liz and welcome to the board. FWIW I love all your quilts. The color selection on the Labyrinth Walk is excellent. Since you want to showcase the pattern and not the quilting, I'd do an all over design in a very fine thread in a light or light-medium grey. That will add a bit of texture to the quilt but not overpower it. If you want to go more challenging, pick a motif for each color and that will further enhance the piecing. For that I'd use a color that matches the fabric. You could do diagonal lines in the black, stipple the dark purple, vertical lines in the light purple. And pebble the white.

Here's an idea for the Bear's Paw. Since you love it, take a few blocks out of it and make it your personal cuddle quilt. Decide what size you would want for a nap or watching movies on the couch, and make it that size. Then quilt and bind it, and watch everyone want to grab "Mom's quilt" when they want some some comfort. Keep the extra blocks because you can always work them into another quilt. Maybe even use one in each of the quilts you'll be making for your husband and kids. Thanks for posting your pics.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Your Labyrinth Walk top is great! There are several of that pattern on QB that you can look at for quilting ideas. If you are new to FMQing and decide to send it out to be quilted, some members use the services of the Missouri Star Quilt co. I don’t know where you are located so that may not be feasible.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 PM

I don’t have any advice on quilting as it is a step I struggle with but I wanted to say that your quilt tops are beautiful. I think the bear paw also deserves to be finished. It’s lovely. The labyrinth walk looks fabulous to me.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

On mine i pebble stitched some areas, did diagonal lines in others, stitch in the ditch following some paths.
Attached Thumbnails 78af6a9c-dbdb-46af-b62c-cd431a642df1.jpeg  
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 AM

That's funny. Family is a funny thing. What they will like the most and what they don't.. My eyes are drawn more to the bears paw. Great job. Love the colors.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:08 AM

Personally, I prefer quilting to enhance the design of a quilt rather than simply sewing the layers together. Your labyrinth quilt is wonderful==purple and all!! As to the UFOs--it's interesting how quilting can change an otherwise unpopular or ho-hum flimsy. Give it a go and see how much better they like those!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 AM

Your quilts are beautiful. I really love all of them.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM

For someone who says she is a new quilter your work is fabulous! You have a great eye for depth in all of your quilts. Welcome to the board from SE Michigan! I am glad you are jumping right in.