Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best machine for fmq >

best machine for fmq

best machine for fmq

Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Default best machine for fmq

I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 2.0 and it is driving me crazy. I am trying to quilt a baby quilt and it keeps skipping stitches, and breaking threads. The thread is actually shredding. I have changed the needle 3 times, and rethreaded the machine every time it breaks. I have quilted on this machine, though it wasn't perfect and it wasn't this bad. I am going to get a new machine, and get rid of this one. It was always finicky about having to rethread it after any problems, and not the best for different thicknesses of fabrics. I also have a Viking #1+, which I never had this kind of problem, and could sew on anything type of fabric. I would appreciate any info for a new machine, so far I am thinking of the Elna Excellence 730 or 760 or the Babylock Jazz ll. I have a few old Singers in beautiful condition, 201, 66 and 15 but they need rewiring. Which I hope to find someone to do the wiring, exspecially the 201. Even if they had good wiring, I would still replace the Pfaff. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Are you using a particular thread or is it all the time?

The Bernina my friend gave me she gave with the warning that it was pretty fussy about thread but seemed to like Aurifil -- which it does. It does ok with my left-over dual duty. I've been having issues with my machine quilting and this weekend I bought a light weight bobbin thread, Sew Fine by Superior to try.

I was able to use a friend's Pfaff P3 long arm set up for a couple of years. It was really fussy with threads and we couldn't wind a quality bobbin. Once we switched to pre-wound lighter weight bobbins instead of the same thread top and bottom things got better quickly.

Sadly, I'm finding that the skills I learned on the long-arm and moving the machine are not translating so neatly into moving the fabric at my large throat Bernina, but much better than with my old vintage machine with the feed dogs engaged. It's always something!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:12 AM

I am using Missouri Stars 50 wt cotton thread. I have used this thread for quite awhile now and had no problems. I have made quite a few quilt tops and fmq them on this machine, but never had this much trouble with it.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 PM

What size and type needle are you using to fmq? You might try a 90/14 topstitch. Where is the shredding happening? Your machine may have a burr inside which can shred the thread.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Troubleshooting tension?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM

I've found that polyester thread behaves better than cotton thread, for free-motion. I think it has something to do with being more stretchy.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Sorry you're having issues with the Pfaff. I have no advice that you haven't tried or been given. I can only say that when my machine kept breaking new needles, I took it to the shop and the repairman said there was a burr on the race. Couldn't be filed down, had to be replaced. It was a $30 part plus $100 labor.

As for a great machine for FMQ, I love (!!!) my Janome 8200. It's really smooth and has an 11" throat and I've never had a tension trouble.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina 440 for FMQ. I use whatever thread suits my project and rarely have any problems. There are good machines in all the major brands and getting the right needles for certain thread helps.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

I had that problem in my used Brother PQ1500 and the repairman diagnosed a bad hook. He offered to fix it or allow the repair cost as a trade on a new one. I went with the new one and have zero issues. I do recommend this machine because it has no issues for me FMQ with anybthread I have tried even coats and Clark. It is relatively inexpensive and available on line. I take care of it myself and didn’t need any training on it. Straight stitch.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

I had the Brother 1500 and it was problem free for fmq. After many years it needed a repeated repair so I got a used Juki straight stitch. I like better then the Brother straight stitch. It has a long high harp and sews very smoothly.