Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've lost a block.  How can this happen? >

I've lost a block. How can this happen?

I've lost a block. How can this happen?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:15 AM

Only a block? I have lost a whole row! We were traveling to Denver a couple of weeks ago and before we left I straightened up my sewing room. Guess I was too zealous.☹️ Back to the search today.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Losing things in my sewing room is an everyday occurrence for me. That is why I have 4 seam rippers and need to search for one every time it is needed.

The scariest episode for me was misplacing my small wallet--it holds my 'life' and fits in my jeans pocket so that I do not need to carry a purse while shopping. I searched the house, the car, the dirty clothes hamper......at the point where my blood pressure was going thru the roof at the thought of having to replace all the documentation and credit cards, my DH walked over to our black kitchen island and picked up my black little wallet and said "Do you mean this one?" I had walked past it at least a dozen times.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:53 AM

I lost a completed applique block and never did find it. Made another one. Your quilt is gorgeous!
Old 09-28-2019, 05:09 AM

I found mine in a flower pot! The table on which I sew is in front of my big windows, and the flower pot is right in front of the window. So the block slid off the back of the table into the flower pot. I looked all over the table and the floor, but didn't see it until I cleaned house about a week after I needed it.

I was making demonstration blocks showing partial seaming, so made several blocks in different stages of completion. Luckily, I had enough fabric to make another. And enough time to do that!
Old 09-28-2019, 05:55 AM

First off, your quilt is stunningly gorgeous. I can't believe you accomplish all you do and then don't tire of the process. I seldom make the same pattern twice, except maybe Yellow Brick Road for chemo patients and Warm Wishes for charity, but kudos to you for trying them first and then concentrating on the class.
Like many of you, I am losing things constantly, as my sewing room is rather small and things pile up on the flat surfaces easily. Numerous times I have sewn two blocks together and discovered it when I iron. The only time I was in a panic was I was making a special baby quilt with needle turn applique of flannel and was missing the dog ear I had just finished ironing. Our daughter's English Mastiff was walking out of the room and when I stopped her she lowered her head.................yup, it was safely in her slobberly mouth, just sitting there for a later snack. I washed and dried it by hand and it was good as new! Thereafter she was banned from the sewing room.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:31 AM

Ginger K and everyone else. Yes, this losing stuff is getting old. Quilting is not getting old, I mix raising competition flowers and quilts. Seems to work for me.

The craziest loss I ever had was $240.00 cash. A couple walked in the shop and bought rugs (I was a weaver back then) and paid cash: two one hundred dollar bills and two twenties. It was the end of the day and I distinctly remember putting them in my purse.

The purse that I had at that time was a conglomeration of pockets and zippers. The next day I went to the bank and wanted to put that $240.00 in my account, but it was no where to be found. I had some questionable employees at the time and I held my breath. I just kept looking and asked everyone if they had seen it laying around somewhere. (I never accused anyone of taking it, thank Heavens) I went to the post office and asked if I had included it when I mailed letters, did I put it in the night deposit at the bank, did someone find it and turn it in? Finally in crisis I asked this employee to go through my purse and hunt for it. No, it was not there.

Finally, about 3 days later, when I had calmed down, I was driving somewhere and got thirsty. Stopped at the convenience store to get my Dr. Pepper fix. Reached in my purse to pay for it, and pulled the $240.00 out.

I have no idea where it was other than it was in the purse the entire time.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:55 AM

It is always the "no me" ghost!! My 3 granddaughters lived with me and when I would loose a piece of fabric or block I would ask them if they had seen it and the reply was "not me". Yes, I have lost a few blocks in my time of quiltiing and possibly your block has stuck to some other fabric or it has fallen down behind your machine or even your design wall. Good luck on your search and you know you will find it when you have made a new one.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Forgot to mention that your quilt is very beautiful. Love the fabrics you have used.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

oh my, little gremlins were visiting you. glad it showed up.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I accidently put mine away with a backing fabric I was trying out and rejected. It clung to the fabric and was found well after I had finished the quilt. It really boggles the mind to find it months later. LOL! You say, "How did that happen"?