Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM

OK, I guess I thought you knew some of the numbers.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:01 PM

No I'm not doing the quilt just lurking.

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
OK, I guess I thought you knew some of the numbers.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I finished piecing my squares today, after quite a bit of struggle I found a way to get my consistent seam allowance without fighting myself or the machine. I will press them and hopefully get a picture after dinner; some of the color combinations I just love, but others I don't care for. I think it was because my dark blues were full of almost-black fabrics and very few actual blues, and my raspberry shades are mostly pink without the purple and red undertones. That's what I get for not choosing my own fabrics, but I also refuse to judge the whole project by one tiny part of it. Once I see how it fits into the whole I may forget all about how little I like the pink and blues together.

I'm enjoying the scrappy feel and giving up so much control and just going with the flow. I wanted to focus on learning technical things here, not creativity!

I made a handful of extra blocks, in case something ends up measuring short when I go to trim my blocks in the morning or I don't like the way some of them fit in the whole quilt.
Yes! I was surprised at how much my seams were off when I did a bunch of 4 patches! But now I have an accurate seam. Geez! I thought I was past that
Old 12-05-2019, 03:18 AM

Go with what you love. I have finally figured out how to participate. I have struggled with the colors of Frolic but absolutely love Kalamaquilts, Not Ringo Star. Back in #357 post. So I'm going totally batik scrappy. Don't know if it will work but either way, I'll have colors that I can live with. Woo hoo! I'm in.

Last edited by toverly; 12-05-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

That's good, Toverly!! I find it hard to work with fabrics I don't like. Life's too short!
I'm using my stash but only fabrics I really like. In fact, just recently I donated all my fabrics that I knew I would never use.
Glad you're in.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 AM

I decided Monday morning to do this project - chose some fabrics and had my first clue done by noon. Of course, I did get up at about 4 I went with gray as I have good variety and am just not a blue person, pink (mostly deep - not baby pink) and green. Have not decided yet on my neutrals, but I have plenty.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 AM

toverly, glad to help A forum is a crypt without posters, so the more I can snag in the better!

In a totally scrappy quilt I'm happy to mix vintage/reproduction/baticks/stripes/recycled shirts yadayada, but in 30's fabrics general neutrals just don't cut it for me. And I have nothing in the neutral pile to use. Today I'm going to a fabric store to look for white background with small polka dots for my neutral.

I quit buying fabric in 2001. And I find myself getting up this morning with that sickish feeling of need and anticipation that any addict would recognize. Will it never pass, will I never be well of it? All said with a smile, but I am so thankful for all those years without it, not even recognizing it still lays in wait.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 AM

toverly, glad you figured it out!

The sore throat of Saturday has developed into a sinus infection and I'm well out of it, so not sure if I'll be able to muster the energy to start Clue #2 on time. But Bonnie did mention it would be an easy one because she is away in Germany.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM

Here is a picture of my four patches...after sleeping on it and looking at the blocks in actual daylight instead of the mess of lamps in my sewing room, I am much happier with the colors. Out of all of them, there was only 1 I had to redo, and it was because my presser foot twisted the top seam. I swapped out feet after that one, lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620500[/ATTACH]

I imagine I will be much better at taking pictures of fabric by the time I'm done with this too, lol
Attached Thumbnails 20191205_092424-2-.jpg  
Old 12-05-2019, 08:10 AM

maminstl, Your grays sound very nice with deep pinks and green. Show us a picture when you can, okay? :-)

Kassaundra, gotta love fake numbers. lol