Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm machine??? >

long arm machine???

long arm machine???

Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM

I recommend you find a beginner's longarm class. You don't have to own one to take it. I signed up for one 18 months before I bought my longarm. I was not pressured at all to purchase during the class.

You learn a lot more from a class than you do just doodling around on an existing setup at a show for 15 minutes. Here are the things I learned:

How to load a top, backing, and batting on the frame, adjust tension across the quilt, baste.
How to fill bobbins on bobbin winder, thread machine, test and adjust thread tension.
Quilted some free motion, tried out pantographs, played with the computerized software and tried it out also.
How to troubleshoot issues, how to clean, maintain, and service machine. (Innovas are designed so you can perform your own service, and if you need help there is 24/7 support. You don't have to take it in and wait for weeks; this is one of the reasons I eventually purchased an Innova.)

In addition to learning all that, I was able to see for myself how I liked the actual quilting, what it was like to stand or sit at a machine for a long period of time (the class was 5 hours). I was also able to test out different size longarms, 18" to 32", check out different options such as the stitch regulator, the awesome light bar my dealer designed (it has switches, one for the longarm, one for the light bar, and it also has extra outlets in case I want to install a black light or plug in a radio or something). And after taking the class, I opted for the hydraulic lift. It was only after taking the class that I realized how handy the lift was.

Once I took the class, I had a much better idea of what I was doing, what I liked, what I didn't like, and was able to test drive other machines with a clear idea of what I wanted.

Last edited by Peckish; 11-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 PM

all the above posts give great advice. I would only add that a high quality machine, made for "industrial" usage will hold up and be a great buy as a used machine--many of these older machines are sought after by current long arm owners wishing to add robotics and expand their business--so yes, used is good! That being said, I would look at Gammill, APQS, Nolting, Innova, HandiQuilter if you are going the used route as they all seem to be very durable and have a good market.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:03 PM

i have the Amara Handi Quilter that I really like, easy to use and learn on. Mine is 14' long and about 4' deep. You really need a large room to work on it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-06-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM

I have the original Tin Lizzie (1996) on the original wooden frame. I have had to replace 2 parts in 23 + years..one was the presser bar spring, and then a week ago I had to replace the wheels(not technically a machine part)..they're part of the carriage. I bought a Qbot robotics system for it 3 years ago. It does everything I could ever need it to do...I am very happy with it.
Every time I see a longarm at a quilt show or shop, I always test drive them..just to see! My assessment is that the LA's in my price range are lightweight plastic, and I don't see them lasting 20 years...the heavier, more sturdier built models are all above 25K...so I stick with my old faithful machine. The only drawback that I can see with my TL is that the newer machines have a much faster response when in stitch regulated mode..but I don't usually use it..I use manual stitch or the robotics.
If you want to buy used..remember to calculate in the shipping or moving costs..as well as, if the frame is shipped, they often don't include the bars because it costs more to ship them than to just go buy new ones...but it's an added expense. You can get some really good deals on a used machine.There are used machines all over ebay, and if you decide to buy there, ask the seller very detailed questions, this way when you get it, if they have misrepresented it, you can get your money back.
I am in Herkimer County..where are you? If you're close, you can pm me and see my set up if you like.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 AM

If you have the opportunity in your area, I suggest you rent time on the machine to make sure you will be happy with a longarm. (I was able to rent time on HQ 16, Gammill and Nolting). This is what I did for about a year +/-. I wanted a good longarm but did not plan to go into business. I figured I would pay for the machine by quilting my own and not sending it out to be quilted. Plus I was not thrilled about doing the quilting on my domestic. Most of the quilts I make are Queen sized.

The most important thing for me was to have service. I did not want to have to “fix by long distance phone calls”. I have been very happy with my Gammill. I still have local service. :-)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-06-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I think that if you have a decent budget do look for used if at all possible.

https://www.longarmuniversity.com/Ma...rSale.html#M4S

Or demo machines

https://www.mkquilts.com/used-machines.html

Longarm University is a very good resource. I know that many dealers list their class / demo machines there when they want to make room for newer models.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM

I spent 9k for my hq avante new. It's was another 10k for the computer. If you want a computer be prepared to shell out some bucks new. Used you just have to see what's available. Kepp in mind when you buy locally from a dealer they will set it up for you and show you how to use it which might be worth the money saved if you have issues. Learning tension is one of the things I really had to learn on mine