Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
A Big Hello from Mississippi! >

A Big Hello from Mississippi!

A Big Hello from Mississippi!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Smile A Big Hello from Mississippi!

Greetings Fellow Crafters!
I am pleased to join the community here! I am a newbie to sewing machinery. My father taught me to hand sew, and 5 years ago I taught myself to knit. Now, at 23 years old, I will teach myself to use a sewing machine. I recently acquired an old Commander sewing Machine from an estate!
After some research, I've found it is most likely a 1938 White Commander 116.300 26770. She came in a desk cabinet and is in need of some TLC. A piece that I believe holds the bobbin for the bottom thread fell out, and I am searching for any instruction manuals or documents that can assist me in placing it back and properly oiling and cleaning the machine. It hasn't been used in decades, but still works.

I've named her Tillie and she and I are in it for the long run. These machines were made to be passed down and I plan to keep this one a long while.

Any information on this particular machine is greatly obliged. I'll be posting pictures of Tillie later tonight.

Thank you kindly!
Tyra
Old 07-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Hi Tyra! I'm a former Mississippi girl, you will meet some great people thru this site. Welcome aboard
Old 07-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Thank you! I hope to collect fabrics from every state. So far, I've got some beautiful Thai Silk!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Big Welcome back atcha, from Mississippi! I live just south of Jackson. Are you anywhere near Meridian? I go up there about every two months to sew with a group making little dresses for girls in South America.

Glad you found the QB!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio 🙋‍♀️
Old 07-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB and happy quilting
Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tavacoh View Post
... After some research, I've found it is most likely a 1938 White Commander 116.300 26770. She came in a desk cabinet and is in need of some TLC. A piece that I believe holds the bobbin for the bottom thread fell out, and I am searching for any instruction manuals or documents that can assist me in placing it back and properly oiling and cleaning the machine. It hasn't been used in decades, but still works. ...
Welcome, Tyra. Good for you. I wasn't sure whether to post my response, here or on the thread Kenmore SM Pictures and information or wait until you started a new thread. I believe you have a typo, here, I think the number is 117.300. This is the number for a Sears sold Franklin Rotary machine.

First off, before I forget, that machine would have the hand wheel go in a clockwise direction if you are looking at it from that end. Frequently, those types of machines have a rubber drive pulley on the motor that runs against the hand wheel, which will generally have a flat spot. Depending on how bad it is, it can make the machine louder than it needs to be.

There is a manual for a Franklin Rotary at http://ismacs.net/domestic/manuals/f...anual-1926.pdf There may be some differences, but should give you a good start on threading and oiling. For threading the White bobbin, there is a thread here at Directions for loading a White rotary bobbin (White Family Rotary, etc.) Yours should be similar.

There are some other threads and posts for similar machines that may help.
How do you clean a Crinkle finish?
Cleaning a 611 white rotary
Domestic Rotary 153

Also you may have noticed that the pictures are small. If you click on the small picture it will open the picture. You will need to click the "back" arrow to go back to the thread. If you right click the small picture, it will give you the option to "Open Link in New Tab" which will leave the thread in its own tab so that you can go back to it by clicking on the tab.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "reply" button works to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

Additionally, when I have tried to "insert" pictures, it will take a while even if it is just one picture, after clicking on the paperclip icon. (This is after you have hit the "Upload" button and closed that window.) You will see the "busy" icon at the top of the page or tab spinning for a while before it list the pictures that it will attach.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 07-28-2020, 03:42 AM

Welcome from Michigan, the mitten state. Your will find so much help on this site. Everything from how to get your machine working smoothly to how to construct your first quilt to how to finish your most extravagant quilt down the road. Welcome, wander about the site and ask questions any time.