Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Decision Making >

Need Help with Decision Making

Need Help with Decision Making

Old 10-09-2020, 08:51 PM

Default Need Help with Decision Making

I can't get started on anything because I keep changing my mind about what I want to make. A bag, a quilt, decide on a quilt and then change my mind. A thread catcher, a bag. There is too much to choose from and it affects me more than it should. Do I have ADHD. LOL I know quilters get bored easily but at least they make something. I have no problem buying fabrics, machine, love the pictures. I know this isn't normal.

I know some people will be critical, or sarcastic. And I might deserve it. Maybe one or two people will say something constructive.

Last edited by janetea; 10-09-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 10-09-2020, 10:58 PM

Not sure if I have any words of wisdom - I can certainly relate to your dilemma. My sewing room is the proof. Since March I have been making masks and believe me I am tired of it. So I decided to work on my English Paper Piecing hexies by hand - cut out a bunch, put them on the little papers, then made more masks, watched a MSQC video on making a larger version - so I wanted to do that too. Ordered the dies from Accuquilt,, because that is so much easier that using a template and I have the Accuquilt Go, and I ordered the batting. pieces from MSQC because I wasn't sure if the dies would cut batting (which it will just FYI), and then my DD is having a baby in January and I want to make a baby quilt - but which one - I have enough fabric to make about 20. And I have down loaded enough patterns to keep me busy for years. And I want to make Christmas stockings for my DD and her fiancé, the fabric is here. Oh, and then there are the UFO's for 2 Christmas quilts and a baby quilt for our friends in Germany.

When I was able to go to my friend's house in Phoenix, we would have a personal quilting retreats. We would focus on one project and if it was finished during my visit I would work on a second one. No dithering, just getting up, eat a quick breakfast, then working from breakfast to lunch - we would go to a quilt shop or place to buy supplies we would need and then back home to quilt until about 9 to 10 at night. Her husband usually cooked us dinner or we would have a simple casserole. This would go for about 4 to 5 days and I would return to CA. We started doing this in Las Vegas - we would check into our time share for a week and sewed. Then her DH got sick and so we started doing the same thing at her home. Her DH doesn't care that we set up the dining room and leave it a mess for my entire visit. (My DH would go nuts - he hates a mess.)

My mother always said I was a true Gemini - I can't do just one thing. I will even read a book while watching TV. So it's not severe but I am sure now it was ADD. So keeping focus can be hard for me. Too bad you don't live in San Diego area - we could be quilt buddies and keep each other focused.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 10-09-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:41 AM

I make lists to keep me going. I have a list of finished projects - large and small - which helps me see that I am actually accomplishing things. I have a list of UFOs that I try to keep down to 10. I use project boxes and pizza boxes to organize these ongoing projects. And I have a wish list of projects I'd like to start. I even set aside supplies to make them, and sometimes when I get around to starting them, I realize I don't want to do them at all. So I put everything back. Lately, I've been knitting a lot more, so I find myself buying yarn AND fabric! Ugh.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Lately, I have been doing masks and a couple of home dec. projects for others. I haven’t been working much on quilts lately but I don’t stress about it.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn’t add to your stress. At some point something interesting enough will come along and you will start it. If you have no deadlines you can work at your own pace. Just go with the flow right now.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:51 AM

Many quilters join you in the in-decision dilemma. I've learned it's a common issue with our local guild members too.

Right now my sewing table is underneath projects and recent fabric purchases. I work on things depending on my mood, piecing, quilting, or embroidery machine. It is nice to have choices. There is no pressure, guilt, or deadlines allowed in my sewing room.

I will recommend the concept of working on something for just 15 minutes. If you decide to continue for a longer period, that is ok. The idea of perfection can block the creative process. Give yourself permission to play and see what happens. Quilt hugs to you!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:14 AM

I am an indecisive person. I get overwhelmed with the choices at hand. Too many ideas, not enough time. Plus, my other hobby is stained glass windows, which has led me to mosaics. I decided to experiment with my double needle that has sat in my box for 40 years. Just try something that makes you happy without an end project. You are definitely not alone.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I always have at least 2 or 3 (or more) projects running at the same time!
Old 10-10-2020, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I also have a hard time deciding.

It is not for lack of anything.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:59 AM

Lately I have been doing one quilt at a time. I don't start a new one until I finish the one I am working on. Problem is, there are so many I want to make, so about half way through I want to hurry up and finish so I can get to the next one. My bucket list is about 40 quilts long! LOL