Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Decision Making >

Need Help with Decision Making

Need Help with Decision Making

Old 10-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Make em all, Janet! Like Rhonda said, give a project 15 minutes, then you can set it aside -- and start another if you want! It's your hobby and there's no one right way to do it.

When indecision grips me, I look for baby steps. I have 14 quilts in progress and none are inspiring me right now. I really want a new one but am trying to whittle down the pile before I start more.

So last night I marked a medallion for ruler work (baby step), sewed up scraps for the Irish Chain because they were left out and in my way (baby step). And then ripped apart several project bins when I realized these were quilts in the fabric pull stage that I was no longer interested in. That last bit felt so good.

I might just do fabric pulls for quilts I'm dreaming about to take the edge off my desire to start new quilts. Or break my vow and just make a new top because there are no rules!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:05 AM

I always have many projects in the works and like to switch from one project to another. This way it is never boring for me. Sewing/quilting is very relaxing to me so whenever I am sewing I am in my happy place whether it be a quilt, shopping totes or just some potholders. The only thing I don't like is new patterns coming out all the time and I think I have to have it!!! Just enjoy the process of whatever you work on.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Janetea, I do understand. That's why I always have several things going at once. I get bored so this way I can work on what strikes my mood.
We're all normal/abnormal, whatever! ha!!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 AM

I only make quilts, so I don't have the problem of other types of projects competing for attention.

I keep a list of planned projects; while I don't stick obsessively to the order of the list, having things listed keeps me from feeling overwhelmed with possibilities.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:27 AM

Lay out a few projects and have a friend choose..then you'll be kind of accountable because the friend will ask how it's coming along. Just jump in!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:57 AM

It’s not uncommon at all to be indecisive about projects. We have so many ideas, so many projects we want to try. Decision overload paralyzes me. If I’m in the mood to sew but don’t what to start, I will do some scrappy string blocks that are part of a WIP with no deadline (picnic quilt for me).

The other thing that helps me is to clean up my sewing room. I can’t function in mess and it kills my creativity.

But rest assured, you are not alone in this seemingly crazy thing.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:31 AM

When I get in this state of indecision I make a list. I am not normally a note taker or list maker. But, I find that a list of projects on my mind helps. Keep it to 4 - 6 projects and cross them off as I finish. I will jump from an easy project to a more detailed one and back to easy. When the list I’d about done I add more. Hopefully I can finish the list before more are added. Of coarse this board does not help. I see too many quilts that peak my interest
Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I use to totally finish a quilt before starting another. I make donation quilts mostly. If I have enough fabric for more alike I will make the tops while I have all the fabric out. I finished 9 tops I had made up. Sometimes on them I just make tops but, I do gt them all finished up.

I have a quilt top for our bed that I put aside to make donation quilts. After these are given away I will finish it up.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Relax. This is your hobby, if it is causing you stress then find something else to do until you really want to quilt again. Many of us take breaks from quilting and it's okay. We all need breaks to recharge our batteries.

If you feel compelled/motivated to quilt and cannot make a decision as to which project to work on, then pull a project out of a hat and put all the other projects away (out of sight). Then work slowly on this chosen project, a few minutes a day and you will see progress. Be proud of your accomplishments. Sometimes we are just overwhelmed and need to refocus on what we are doing and not what everyone else is doing.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM

When I can't think of a 'project' to make and I want to sew I just make random blocks. I can always do a scrappy quilt with random blocks or I can make a group of like blocks and decide on a quilt or other project along the way. Right now I have random blocks everywhere. I started with making a quilt of all Caribbean colors. I then went to working on some swap block and then to some blocks that may turn into a table runner but who knows for sure??? So I am content cutting fabric with my Accuquilt and making different blocks from different dies right now just for the fun of it.