Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Decision Making >

Need Help with Decision Making

Need Help with Decision Making

Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 PM

Talking

The lists are a great idea. When my sister and I cleaned out my Mother's craft closet I discovered she had enough paraphernalia to open a craft store.
-------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I make lists to keep me going. I have a list of finished projects - large and small - which helps me see that I am actually accomplishing things. I have a list of UFOs that I try to keep down to 10. I use project boxes and pizza boxes to organize these ongoing projects. And I have a wish list of projects I'd like to start. I even set aside supplies to make them, and sometimes when I get around to starting them, I realize I don't want to do them at all. So I put everything back. Lately, I've been knitting a lot more, so I find myself buying yarn AND fabric! Ugh.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:58 PM

I want to set up all my sewing machines with a different project on each. Thanks for your reply!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Thanks, Joe's Mom! Good suggestions.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:00 PM

That's a great idea, Donna!
Old 10-11-2020, 10:03 PM

Talking

I clean my sewing room, too. I derive enjoyment from seeing everthing at least semi-organized. Thanks for your reply. So helpful!

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
It’s not uncommon at all to be indecisive about projects. We have so many ideas, so many projects we want to try. Decision overload paralyzes me. If I’m in the mood to sew but don’t what to start, I will do some scrappy string blocks that are part of a WIP with no deadline (picnic quilt for me).

The other thing that helps me is to clean up my sewing room. I can’t function in mess and it kills my creativity.

But rest assured, you are not alone in this seemingly crazy thing.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:06 PM

Talking

Reading your reply along with others made me think about discipline- only as far as making sure I dont spend too much time online looking at pictures. I like your note and list making suggestion. Thank you!

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
When I get in this state of indecision I make a list. I am not normally a note taker or list maker. But, I find that a list of projects on my mind helps. Keep it to 4 - 6 projects and cross them off as I finish. I will jump from an easy project to a more detailed one and back to easy. When the list I’d about done I add more. Hopefully I can finish the list before more are added. Of coarse this board does not help. I see too many quilts that peak my interest
Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Talking

So helpful. Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
When I have a hard time deciding, I go grab one of my "in progress" totes at random and start working on it. If I stay engaged, it might get done, and if not it gets put back in the tote and back on the shelf. Sometimes by then, an idea has come to the top and I'm motivated to start on that, and if not I grab something else.

If I spend too much time looking at the different projects, I can do that for days before I start sewing, so I don't do that. I don't let it bother me that I've got a lot in progress, because that means I've got a lot to keep me busy if the time comes when I can't afford to buy the new stuff.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:17 PM

You are right, Katie. I finally settled down and have started a quilt. The answer for me was understanding what I wanted to accomplish and how much it meant to me.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:20 PM

March 2021- I settled down and have started a quilt. The answer for me was understanding what I wanted to accomplish and how much it meant to me.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:27 PM

It is the rare quilter/maker who works one project at a time, finishing one before starting the next. I usually have several projects on the go as I am a very enthusiastic "starter"....then get distracted and end up with 20 projects in various stages of completion. I like working on one and switching it up, or doing "therapy sewing" when bored or tired.

I have also found the pandemic anxieties have often overwhelmed my creative urge. So I just rest up and wait for the desire to create to return.

Frankly, if you love fabric collecting and starting projects that to me is a sufficient reason to do it. I do NOT think you have to generate a finished item to validate the expense and time...the return on your joy is enough.

That said, I love the quilts I have finished and use. They give me great joy and comfort. Maybe commit to finishing one lap quilt project?

I have learned that while I allow myself to start new projects and buy new fabrics etc. I do always have one "main" project going that I work on with the focused goal of making progress and finishing. That way I get the best of both worlds.