Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-24-2020, 10:00 PM

Cathy, your mystery units look really nice, but your quilt is stunning! Very elegant. I'm so glad you will be able to enjoy it in your new bedroom.

Leslie
Old 12-25-2020, 08:08 AM

Macybaby, I can't wait to see your quilt with the browns.

That quilt in neutrals looks gorgeous. There is something so elegant about a neutrals quilt.

I made a sample clue 4 unit last night. These are simply enormous! I think it must be the biggest unit I've ever made for a Bonnie quilt. I had the same trouble as has been mentioned, of the upper corners veering in slightly. I guess I will scantify my seam and see if that solves the problem. I have been kind of pushing the boundaries to come up with enough of the colors to get the specified number of unique units. I ended up with 3 extra for clue 4, which I'm glad of because it means I can discard the ones that are least pleasing. I think I should get some kind of ugly prize for this one, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails img_5820_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Beautiful, jmoore!, These are so not ugly!!
Old 12-26-2020, 04:02 AM

I'm up and ready for clue 5 - may go work on some binding until it's out. I've got three lap size Christmas quilts ready for binding.

I got about 2/3 done with my quilt and ran out of thread. I bought the thread so long ago I don't know if the place I bought it still carries it, but since I moved they aren't "local" anymore and they won't be open until Monday and it might be a while before I could get there (they close early enough I can't go after work). But I did find it online so I'll probably order it and hope it doesn't take too long to arrive. I thought I'd have enough, but didn't take into account that the design I chose has feathers, and probably close to 50% of it is back tracking so double stitched. While the quilt is 118" wide, I can't even get one full pass on a bobbin - and that is pretty rare to have happen.

I'm using a variegated gold thread, and really liking how it's turning out. It was looking too "white" for what I wanted, and this is bringing the golds/creams out way more.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:29 AM

yea! procrastinated long enough and clue is posted so I can get to cutting (instead of binding)!
Old 12-26-2020, 06:33 AM

I am still working on clue 3, but almost finished with it. So excited to see all the bits in clue 5, makes me actually wonder about the final layout. Usually I am happy to sew along, a step at a time, without ever wondering what we're making. This year has me wondering, since so far all of the units feel very different from each other.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:54 AM

Oh My! Clue 5....sigh of relieve for the first part, a little gasp when it went on to the second part and a partial sigh of relief for the third. Tee Hee. Ok, I have the first clue done and pressed, the second one is stitched but needs pressing, clue 3 all cut and in the process of stitching and pressing, clue 4 is all cut and patiently waiting in its cake pan. oh what is a girl to do...well plan is to stitch up as much of 3 & 4 until Monday...then cut and stich on clue 5 and I sillyly (is that a word?) also am considering doing the Merry mayhem mystery on new years and haven't cut that yet so will do all my cutting probably on Monday and Tuesday for both mysteryies...umm...gotta check the supply of TV diners.....or maybe just bread jam and PB.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 AM

Here is the link for clue 5:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...ry-part-5.html

What a fun clue! I'm so glad green has turned up again. Green seems to be the 'pop' color this year.

origamigoldfish, I am also intensely curious about this quilt (but I always am with Bonnie's mysteries).

sewingpup, I am in similar stages to you, except that I have clue 3 all sewn, and the gray/neutral pieces sewn for clue 4. My plan was to make myself press a set of clue 2 between each clue 4, but that isn't happening -- I'm too eager to see how my clue 4 sets are looking, LOL. (Not that I'm uninterested in my clue 2s, but they are more time-consuming to press and trim.) Not sure if I'll keep going with clue 4 or clear the table and move on.

I'm wondering how to do the geese -- have all different using the traditional or the folded corners ruler method, or less variety with the Wing Clipper.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Oh...how fun! A little variety in this clue... awesome.. I got a slow start this morning...more family phone calls we missed yesterday...and, we woke up to snow so a bit more chores needed...So, will get to these this afternoon after I finish up the Merry Mayhem mystery clue. Have a beautiful day everyone!
Old 12-26-2020, 11:24 AM

Got the FG all sewn and trimmed, and the small squares for the 9 patch cut. I am not doing any strip piecing so have lots of squares to sew together. But that part will be fun sewing. Had to stop and make lunch, and then DH and I are planning on a trip to the range since it's warmed up into the 40's again today.