Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 06-22-2021, 07:09 AM

Bonnie posted a black and white photo of trimmings on her Facebook page the other day, which traditionally means she has started this year's mystery, so I think we can be pretty sure there will be a mystery this year.

I wasn't pleased with my Grassy Creek top, so I'm thinking of trying to sit out this year until after the reveal.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:31 AM

Well I forgot to post my Grassy Creek in the Grassy Creek section so here it is.

Iceblossom- I can’t wait to see what you choose for this years Mystery, you always come up with the best choices!

Joe’smom- I thought your finish was beautiful! I’m sorry you weren't pleased with your end results. I will be waiting out this years mystery again, just because I prefer to piece a certain way and I may want to change up things a bit as I did with Grassy Creek.
Attached Thumbnails 8990e0c1-09c1-4c91-856e-ebc59748f44e.jpeg   0e96c6cf-3319-4d23-a525-3080324e814f.jpeg   bc9d6332-307a-4a69-9c04-3eb533702689.jpeg  
Old 06-22-2021, 07:57 AM

This whole mystery/quilt along concept is interesting to me and actually getting more enjoyable the more I do it. I am able to let down my inner OCD quilter and let someone else take the design reins. And then if I don't like something, well I wasn't the one who designed it or/bad stuff happens in scrap and mystery quilting both. But I already know I'm at a point in my life when I can go ahead with a project that maybe I won't like.

I already know that Bonnie has a style and I have a style, and while Bonnie's might not be my style -- people love the tops. And again, I'm not really making them for me other than having something to do.

There are times when I am annoyed by the mystery elements. I have a thing about efficiency and doing things in a certain way and touching things the minimum of times. But, my organizational skills have improved by this projects! I find her directions and discussions and pictures interesting even if I don't necessarily do them her way.

Now -- if I had to buy fabric? Oh yeah, this would not be for me! Back when I was a single mom? No way would I have the time, not only to do along with the timing but just in order to make the things I wanted to make. I'm still not being very productive this year, but it looks like I'll have this current project finished just in time to start Bonnie's... and I've been trying to think of something to do with these bits of solids...
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM

That is so gorgeous, tallchick!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:47 AM

I just love what you did to the grey pieces in the center. I put a grey fabric with a subtle print in mine but I really like yours. I do love doing Bonnie's mystery's and I always learn something. My points are getting much more pointy! I don't always care for the colors or even the quilt when I get it done. But strangely, they all have grown on me over times. I did not care for Grand Illusion and stuck it up in my attic for a bit. Well, that quilt came out this past winter and now I call it my January in Minnesota Quilt. Not because it resembles a northern Minnesota winter....but because it is so bright! I love the colors on my bed in January, I think I smiled every time I walked into my bedroom. It just warmed me up looking at it. Now, I am not that fond of Grassy Creek either....I just took it off of the long arm and need to put the binding on....but I like it more now that it is quilted. I will have to see what I think after I put the "orange" binding on.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:27 AM

Tall chick…your finish is amazing….the border design looks fantastic. Well done!
Old 06-24-2021, 04:25 PM

Tall Chick - stunning version of Grassy Creek.. very, very beautiful finished quilt! I always enjoy your rendition and this is my favorite!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:39 AM

I'm enjoying all of the finished pictures - Tall Chick your version is very beautiful! Joe's mom I really like your finished top and hope that you will be part of the next mystery. You have been very helpful to many of us as we struggled through some of he clues. I've finished my second Grassy Creek - with two smaller versions. The large pastel one was made for a friend and she loved it - the two smaller ones were made with my color choices and both will be gifted as well.
Attached Thumbnails img_2629.jpg   img_2633.jpg   img_2634.jpg  
Old 06-25-2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
I'm enjoying all of the finished pictures - Tall Chick your version is very beautiful! Joe's mom I really like your finished top and hope that you will be part of the next mystery. You have been very helpful to many of us as we struggled through some of he clues. I've finished my second Grassy Creek - with two smaller versions. The large pastel one was made for a friend and she loved it - the two smaller ones were made with my color choices and both will be gifted as well.
Those are beautiful! While sewing along in the throes of the mystery is fun, you certainly have mastered the color placement in your most recent finishes.

This was my first BH mystery quilt and I am definitely hooked (and now a big Bonnie fan). I did the 2020 mystery from Laundry Basket Quilts, but only after all the clues were released. I did the 2021 LBQ mystery and generally kept up with the clues (at least through 10 out of 12 days). But it was a blue and white sampler quilt, so color and value were not that important.

I hope to “see” all of you for the next BH mystery in November.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:46 AM

Carol, all of your versions of Grassy Creek are wonderful! I love how the sashing stars shine out on the first small version, and the red churn dashes on the second.

Thank you for your kind words. I don't plan on hosting the mystery thread this year, as I think others should have a chance, plus I hope to resist beginning the quilt until after the reveal. But I certainly plan on following along with the discussion and cheering everyone on!