Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-25-2020, 11:58 AM

So, finding an alternative E1 fabric for the 38 squares was harder than I anticipated. I have two options that I can see.

The first photo shows, from top, my border fabric A, underneath that are the E1 fabric I was going to use for the 38 squares, along with my D fabric of the same pattern. Underneath those are the E1 fabric I'll be using in the rest of the quilt, plus my E2; underneath those are the stash fabrics I think are tonally compatible. There isn't enough of either of the lighter ones to use alone, so I would have to use them both, or use all three for a scrappy look.

In the next photo, I've changed the three scrappy blues for a lighter blue that I have enough of for the 38 squares, but it has a brighter look than the rest of the fabric line and it's a light, not a medium.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails img_5826_fotor.jpg   img_5834_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-25-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 12-25-2020, 01:53 PM

joe'smom, I like the look of photo 1 better. I think I understand everything above the bottom row. I don't think having an E1 and a D of the same pattern is a problem. I like all the fabric choices, including the two different lighter blues for E1 and E2. But I'm not sure what the bottom row is. Do you have enough of the first two light blues?
Old 12-25-2020, 02:09 PM

Thanks, shazziny! The bottom row were the only blues I have that I felt were tonally compatible with the top two rows.

Yes, I would have enough of the upper row lighter blues if I used the blue that is the same pattern as my D for the 38 squares. I didn't care for that idea at first, but maybe I will warm to it. Right now my cutting table is covered with the Bonnie Hunter mystery, so I don't need to make a decision today.

My current inclination is to use the darkest print in the bottom row, which is the one I have enough of to cut three 2 7/8" strips from. My reasoning is, I think it's the most compatible of the three, it looks nice with my D fabric, it will give good contrast in the HSTs, and it is easily distinguishable from my E2, should that come into play later on.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:02 PM

My current inclination is to use the darkest print in the bottom row, which is the one I have enough of to cut three 2 7/8" strips from. My reasoning is, I think it's the most compatible of the three, it looks nice with my D fabric, it will give good contrast in the HSTs, and it is easily distinguishable from my E2, should that come into play later on.[/QUOTE]

That is the one on the right in the bottom row, right? I think that would look very good for the reasons you give. I agree it's the most compatible, and it really goes with your A fabric so the border will work well. The only possible problem I see has to do with the suggested requirements for the E1 fabric. That it should be a tonal, and darker than E2. I have no idea if that could be a problem. My own E1 is lighter than E2, but it has cranes and flowers on waves, not exactly a tonal. I think it's probably best to go with the fabrics you like.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:21 PM

I like the lighter blue, joes’smom...I think it makes all the beautiful florals really pop in contrast. Will be so pretty...

After dinner and all the family phone calls out of the way, Hubbie turned on Football....NOT! So, off I went to sewing room...lol. My 2” HST’s are done and I’m about halfway on the 2 1/2” HST’s. Just trimming is needed.. I’ll finish those up tomorrow then..I’m ripping down Christmas. It’s been up since Thanksgiving so I’m ready for normal. I’ll leave outside decor up until after New Years. Anyone else get sick of Christmas decor after awhile? I love setting it up my home for Christmas and I love all the fairy lights on all the time but....ready for normalcy.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:40 PM

joe'smom, I'm not keen on that light fabric in the second picture. It doesn't look nearly as nice as what you have going on in the first picture. My family time is done, so I'm going to move on to the Christmas clue! Fun to have some sewing to do, and be done with the wondering if my fabrics will look good. To the point where I think 'Just go for it' now.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

My machine and all my sewing stuff is put away while my family are here. So glad to get a sewing clue, finally. I bought my daughter a portable Juki sewing machine for Christmas, and she wants to set it up and try it tomorrow, so maybe I’ll let her sew my HSTs from clue 2.

Hope you all had a nice Christmas. We did, but I’ve been hopping for two days! I’m glad there are leftovers to eat tomorrow so we can all rest and enjoy each other.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:17 PM

I didn't have time today to do any sewing and it's just as well because I've misplaced my fabrics except A. I put them away and who knows where? I'm glad I have a few days to find them.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:26 AM

I found them!
Old 12-26-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I After dinner and all the family phone calls out of the way, Hubbie turned on Football....NOT! So, off I went to sewing room...lol. My 2” HST’s are done and I’m about halfway on the 2 1/2” HST’s. Just trimming is needed.. I’ll finish those up tomorrow then..I’m ripping down Christmas. It’s been up since Thanksgiving so I’m ready for normal. IAnyone else get sick of Christmas decor after awhile? I love setting it up my home for Christmas and I love all the fairy lights on all the time but....ready for normalcy.
Teen, your Christmas sounded just like mine...while I do follow one or two football teams, they are pretty much done for this season. I have to leave my tree up for a few more days...my step daughter and family are coming on the 29th to exchange gifts and DH is cooking a prime rib dinner. I will take Christmas down early morning on the 30th and be done with 2020. It was difficult to enjoy the true spirit of Christmas this year...but I did get my HSTs finished.

I will be working on organizing my sewing room over the next couple of days now that I’m all caught up. I purchased two IKEA drawer units last weekend and DH put them together for me. They fit nicely under my cutting table. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.