Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap >

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Old 03-01-2021, 06:10 PM

Getting to know me.

1. I generally look down scouring the ground for clues of past lives. Jeans and t-shirt are my normal attire. Hair pulled back in a ponytail. Because of Covid, my pony tail is really long!
2. I like goats and I set up the name in 1994.
3. Family name
4. Sampler blocks never sashed into a quilt. I am the queen of UFOs.
5. Crazy quilt started when I was about 9. I had no clue what to do. I still have it. It is smaller than 8" square. I fully intend to incorporate it into a crazy quilt. :-)
6. King and I
Old 03-02-2021, 04:08 AM

1. If we were walking down a street, how would I/we identify you?
Long and glorious white hair and I force contact with strangers by smiling at them
2. How did you come by your screen name?

I am retired faculty from Western Michigan University, still teaching part-time because I love to teach. Thus, WMUTeach.
3. What was the source of your “real” name?
I was named after my father, Lindsay. In my generation, no one named a daughter Lindsay. Lindsay is actually a family last name given to my father as a first name.
4. What was your first quilt? Pictures if you have one.
I made a number of quilted pieces, pillows and the like. The first true quilt was for my office in 1991 and is so faded! Really should take a photo.
5. What is or was your oldest UFO?
Mine is an "IS". It is still waiting for a finish, 12 years old and counting.
6. What is the source of the song, “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You?”

The King and I. Silly memory, I made costumes for my daughter's high school production of K & I. I made "silky dresses" AKA uniforms for the king's guards. These guards were massive dudes from the football team! They so did not like wearing those skirted costumes except that the costume showed off their young man muscles.

Even though I cannot win, it was fun answering my own questions! Tee-Hee-Hee.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:47 AM

I'd probably have to tell you what I'm wearing as I'm pretty non-descript in appearance.

Been using this name for a long time. Original "Macy" is a horse I bought as a weanling, so her nickname was "MacyBaby". She grew up and I sold her years ago, and then just over a year ago I bought a Ragdoll kitten, and named her "Macy" so now I consider her my namesake.

I'm named after my Mom - she's named after her Mom. I'm the 5th daughter and 8th child. My mom had hepatitis when I was born and was so sick I was pulled with forceps. She thought I might be her last so gave me her name, but then she went on to have three more kids.

I decided to make a quilt when my husband was away at basic training and I was staying with my parents with my newborn son. I drew up a set up 12" sampler blocks, and made a king size quilt. Sandwiched on a frame set up in the front yard, and then spent all winter hand quilting it. That was 40 years ago and I don't have any pictures. Didn't do much quilting for years and years . . . My mom passed away five years ago, and when my sibs were cleaning things out they found an old chocolate candies box with my name on it. Inside was all the templates and layout sketches for that first quilt!

It's not a quilt - when I was pregnant with my DD, I started a needlepoint of a sailing ship. I painted the sky and water on the canvas and did the ship in yarn. I got to the point to start stitching the rigging, and it's never been completed. DD was born in 1984. I did inherit some of my Mom's UFOs, and some of them could be even older. I didn't get into quilting until 6-7 years ago so no really old quilt UFOs that are just mine.

6. What is the source of the song, “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You?”
King and I - and I might have guessed wrong but I read other responses. I knew it was from a musical that I've watched several times and also one that I learned songs from while in school choir, but we did medleys of songs form several musicals. Now I'll be singing that song the rest of the day!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM

I am tether to a five yrs old girl.

My initial. Wish I had come up with something more creative, but I was in a rush to join the boom and had to come up with something fast before I chicken out.

From a fortune teller. My grandpa took me to a fortune teller when I was a few days old.

4. What was your first quilt?
It was a copy of an Amish quilt I saw in the book. I did not know how to quilt then, but wanted to make it for my sister's Birthday. I figured out the proportion and made lots of mistakes cutting fabric. I think I was in the Fabric shop every other day to get tools and materials. All hand-pierce and quilted.

Right after I made the first quilt (above). I drew the pattern (not knowing I can get it easily online).The center seams gave me a hard time and I eventually tucked it under my piles of the fabric and forgot all about it until last Christmas when I was going through my fabric piles. I have finished one UFO by Valentine day this year (in time for a v-day gift), now I am quilting the other one.

From The King and I movie.
Attached Thumbnails ahwu1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2021, 02:15 PM

I am probably humming off-tune
We RV and were fulltime Rvers when I started QB, and we traveled between the grandchildren
Basic name my mother liked
I attempted to make a quilt back in the 70's with old sheets into a block/strip - was horrible. Then I took up Quilting in 2004 when we were traveling.
During Covid I caught up on most of my UFO's and even put together two orphan block quilts.
King and I

This was fun - and love learning about you all
Old 03-02-2021, 04:11 PM

1. If we were walking down a street, how would I/we identify you? I have a shaved head and would be walking a 4 month old Belgian Malinois.
2. How did you come by your screen name? I have 4 sons
3. What was the source of your “real” name? Kathy because my dad liked it and Suzanne after Suzanne Pleschette.
4. What was your first quilt? Pictures if you have one. A puppy shaped rag quilt in yellows for my coworkers new baby.
5. What is or was your oldest UFO? Good gracious... who knows. Too many.
6. What is the source of the song, “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You?” The King and I

Last edited by hav4boys; 03-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM

Macybaby - "My mom passed away five years ago, and when my sibs were cleaning things out they found an old chocolate candies box with my name on it. Inside was all the templates and layout sketches for that first quilt!"
What a wonderful story and treasure. Moms do keep odd things. I am sure my children will be muttering that when they have to clear away my stuff.

Travelinggrandma - glad you decided to try the quilting thing again. I also caught up on lots of UFOs during the past year but it seems that they are hiding here and there. Found more this fall. Happy to say I have only created one UFO. This past year. Just can't get into it again. It will hang in my closet for a while or until I get rich enough to take it to my longarm friend.

I am enjoying this too. Love seeing your stories.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Baby days

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes and congratulations for baby Madailein!

My first envelope arrived on Thursday, February 25th, from Sewbizgirl. Thank you, Bonnie! I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner; that was the day that Madailein was born and everything has been a blur since. I'll open all the candies on my birthday.

Madailein and I are doing very well. She has her days and nights completely mixed up, but otherwise she is an easy baby. Every day I feel like I fall deeper in love with her!
Oh my, she is such a beautiful baby! I wished I had a girl, but I had a boy. My pregnancy was so hard. I was so ill all the time before and afterwards anyway so I gave up on having anymore babies. I love him more than life itself so I understand that. Lol! I know she will bring your whole family much joy.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

ahwu, pretty impressive that your first quilt had blocks on point! And then the whole center section was turned on point! It looks fabulous. Perfect Amish colors too.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM

I have blue glasses and shoulder length brown hair that is starting to grow bright white hairs out of the top of my head. Got to love aging... I'm almost always in jeans, even though I live in Texas and it gets really hot. I'll also have my 10 year old son in tow since I homeschool him now.
I came by my screen name because I needed one to join QB and I just really love quilts. I'm super obsessed these days. Lol!
3. What was the source of your “real” name? Amanda is a nice strong biblical name that my parents picked out and liked. My middle name Ann is also my mother's middle name.
4. What was your first quilt? Pictures if you have one. My first quilt was a baby applique quilt of a rabbit that I made for my niece in 2008. I found a group of patterns at a thrift store and made it. The patterns are from the 70s, but so cute. I made so many mistakes along the way, since I had no idea what I was doing... I made a couple more applique baby quilts with different things on them including one for my son and a bed quilt in 2009. Then I didn't make anymore until 2017. Since then it has been an addiction! I so love it! Picture is below.

5. What is or was your oldest UFO? My oldest UFO is a Moda layer cake recipe of all HSTs that I finally have all pieced and sashed. It has been on the design wall for 2 years! I have the backing, and I just bought the batting. I still have to put the 2 inch borders on and she's ready to sandwich... Picture is below of it on the design wall before they were blocks or sashed. The other one is sashed and in its current state. The borders will be black as well.

I have been working on my UFOs in the past couple of months now that I'm recovering quite well from bunion surgery 6 months ago. I'm not quite there, but WAY better than I was. I cut out these 2 carpenter star pillows last March or April before I had trouble walking at all. I am finally putting them together and the points matched up! I'm ready to quilt one before I attach it to the pillow back. The other is still being pieced, but will be to this point shortly. Picture of this one is below.

6. What is the source of the song, “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You?” Thy King and I. I did watch it several times with my mom growing up. It's a good musical.

I agree, this was a lot of fun!
Attached Thumbnails pic-0384.jpg   resized_20200210_115411.jpeg   resized_20210203_202939.jpeg   resized_20210302_164912.jpeg