Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Issues >

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Old 02-07-2021, 04:08 AM

Angry

[QUOTE=Mitch;8458966]Thanks you. I will try that in the future bc I have no blocks left. I used precuts and they are all in the quilt. I do have some of the backing glued to backing left over from trimming it down after gluing the sandwich together but I folded it over and itself so it’s a double thickness. I used the previously posted link to a Leah Day video. She spoke about Her dad trying to quilt circles and having problems. Her conclusion is that machines are sometimes being cranky about sewing in all directions and suggests turning the quilt slightly. I’m trying to quilt flowers which are very circular in nature and I do believe that’s part of the problem. I switched over to my Bernett b79 machine and the problem was even worse than on my brother 1500. It seems that in order to finish this quilt, I’m going to have to rethread after each flower. It’s exasperating!
I'm trying to upload a 2.7mb jpeg photo and I cannot. I've tried many times to upload on this platform and get the same error message that the upload failed.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:26 AM

Good morning! I used June Tailor spray baste. I’ve used it for my last few quilts without any issues. This quilt is more ambitious than anything I’ve ever done because it’s the biggest I’ve FMQed, the seams are bulky, and the quilting is pretty extensive. I’m quilting a picture of a house, cats in the windows, clouds, flowers, pebbles, script,writing, and the Bernie meme. I would attach a photo but I’m having trouble doing that on this platform. The only time it finally worked was with my icon attached to my name. ::heavy sigh::
Old 02-07-2021, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Good morning! I used June Tailor spray baste. I’ve used it for my last few quilts without any issues. This quilt is more ambitious than anything I’ve ever done because it’s the biggest I’ve FMQed, the seams are bulky, and the quilting is pretty extensive. I’m quilting a picture of a house, cats in the windows, clouds, flowers, pebbles, script,writing, and the Bernie meme. I would attach a photo but I’m having trouble doing that on this platform. The only time it finally worked was with my icon attached to my name. ::heavy sigh::
okay. I used spray baste once and for me didn’t like it but remember even with a big quilt you are only quilting the part under the needle anyway. If what you are doing is dense as long as your quilt is supported properly and sounds like it is that shouldn't be your issue. I’m going with the spray baste in combination with the seams and dense quilting! And could you try a scrap sandwich with no spray baste or seams? In all directions?
Old 02-07-2021, 06:02 AM

...I'm trying to upload a 2.7mb jpeg photo and I cannot. I've tried many times to upload on this platform and get the same error message that the upload failed.
I know it says that the max limit is 5MB, but that is wrong. It needs to be less than 2MB

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:28 AM

I just read that you were using a ballpoint needle......you should never use a ballpoint with quilt cotton. Knit fabric, yes.
Never mess with your machine tension when free motion quilting until you first straight stitch on a sample sandwich. If your straight stitch is good, your tension is where it should be.
Check your thread path for any "hang ups"
90/14 topstitch needle is good (sometimes a microtex needle works well)
50 wt. Thread
Test a sandwich, including your glue baste. Try your straight stitch and then your circles?
Is your quilt moving freely under your needle for FMQ.?
Are your feed dogs down?
Before starting you FMQ, hold on to your top Thread and bring your bobbin Thread to the top..
lower your foot and go for it.....you will do great.
I hope your machine works without problems.
Best wishes, keep up the good work.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

.........I used June Tailor spray baste...........
Totally confused here, as earlier (in post #44) you asked if it was the glue baste. From others comments, I think we all thought you were meaning glue baste as in Elmer's glue. I have used a lot of spray baste, mostly 505. I didn't like the June Tailor for all the globs and blobs. Not the even spray of 505. I don't remember it being an issue when FMQing though, but it could have been what I was quilting at the time too. Too long ago now to remember.

You mentioned about the thread shredding, and the circular type motions you are doing. It could be you need to get the needle speed and your hand/quilt movement better in sync. Consider this ... for normal straight line stitching, the normal flow of the thread is down through the needle and then think of the normal progression/direction of the stitches along the fabric. Then when we FMQ, we are changing that pattern. Too much going against the normal path through the needle, can cause the shredding. That's where it's particularly important to get the needle speed and hand/quilt movement in sync.

Another thing ... you might want to clean your needle ... sometimes residue from the glue builds up on it. I keep some alcohol swabs in my sewing supplies for that. From what you have said, I don't think that alone will resolve your problem, but it will help the needle slide in and out much easier, preventing resistance.

Is this clear as mud?

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-07-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:56 AM

You are a lifesaver! I attached an image. Hopefully, it will be visible in the. thread.

Attached Thumbnails img_1189.jpeg  
Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 AM

Dear QuiltE and Lady Diana, I know about ballpoints being for knits but someone with more experience suggested it and I tried it. I have switched to Schmetz topstitch, as per suggested and tried 80/12 and 90/14 for the 40 weight thread. If anybody wants me to try standing on my head and spitting nickels I will absolutely give it a go because nothing is working and I have a lot to learn. I do warm up and test on a muslin sandwich before I stitch on the quilt and I don't have the problems I have on the quilt. BUT, it's not pieced or spray-basted. I will place an order for the 505 for my next quilt, (IF THERE IS ONE!!! Hah! Joke!). I do think I need to move more slowly for the circular shapes. Mind you, I have FMQed the exact same shapes on a spray- basted baby quilt with no problems. On the current project, I straight-stitched with a walking foot with no problems other than wobbly lines over the bulky seams and I do clean the needle periodically. Other checkpoints are a go: the bobbin thread up, feed dogs down. I can't thank you enough for your feedback! I'm learning so much and I'm amazed by your generosity! Here I go- fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:26 AM

I think I can, I think I can. So, stitching at the speed of a glacier, ok exaggeration, a snail, has solved the problem of thread breakage and skipped stitches. The tension is not perfect all the time and the stitches are inconsistent in length BUT I WILL FINISH THIS QUILT!!!
Thanks everybody! I will continue to refer back to this valuable thread.