Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need help with space. Desperate! >

Need help with space. Desperate!

Need help with space. Desperate!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:06 PM

Default Need help with space. Desperate!

I am finally at the end of the rope! I had moved in to the living room to set up my Sewing Studio. It started out ok but as I accumulated more stuff, including a long arm on an 8’ frame, it is overwhelming! Now i just have piles and stuffed shelves! Its not a joy and i don’t know where to begin! I have many precuts and also yardage. Thread. Patterns. Rulers. Notions!!! Its all the usual that we all have
I do have a book shelf and some really heavy odd shelf units i bought from a knit shop! I know i need to spend some real monies and get it fixed up. But how do you know what will work? What is the best use of space? Most usable. I am the queen of buying cheap plastic units that dont hold up. I am in Need of a grown up area.
Do you have any suggestions? I checked out Closet Concepts but will they understand a Quilters needs? I have read about shelving units from IKEA. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Very appreciative of any help
thanks
Fizzle.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 PM

Do you have a spare bedroom and closet to use for your sewing room? Is it possible to make a room into your sewing room?

I have a small room and have to be super-organized to function. I use these basket systems in my sewing room. Two small ones slide under the table. They hold 4 drawers each. I like these systems as it easy to change the baskets according to storage needs. There are two more taller ones. One is under the cutting table and holds serger cones plus embroidery threads. This one holds 7 single drawers.

Another set has 3 single drawers of sewing supplies plus 2 of the double height drawers. Batting and fat quarters are stored there. Jelly rolls and layer cakes are stored in plastic file boxes. The layer cakes are stacked upright so I can sort through them.

I had dry erase board cut to fit the drawers and then glued golf tees in a grid. Embroidery and serger thread fit on the tees. They stay in place in the drawers. Take out a thread and replace when done.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/elf...ccessories/123

One of the best systems for easy storage are the wire shelving systems that you connect shelf by shelf. Easy to find at big hard ware stores. I recently bought 2 of them for garage store. They are sturdy and on wheels.

My suggestion is that when you purchase bins, think about the size and how heavy they will be. Purchase enough bins to get the job done. Generally,you won't find them a second time if you need more. Yes, purchase a few extra too.

Good luck on your task of organizing. I wish I could come and help you.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM

I am in the same shape. Too much fabric, stuffed everywhere and too many machines. It's not fun going into my sewing area. Way too many UFO's hiding and needing to be found and finished before I can start any new projects. My husband condensed me down to 1 room when I had 2 because he was upset that I was spread out too much. I have claustrophobia. There's too much, too close and no room. One day I will get even. Nuff said!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

If you have wall space consider getting the tall shelving units with doors. Several along a wall will give you lots of space to shelve clutter and the tops are where I store batting packages. The sides with command hooks are a good spot for rulers. A row of plastic drawer storage units could fit under the long arm for storing little things like thread for the longarm.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:37 AM

Do you have any friends or know someone that is organized? I'm one of those people but I'm in Ohio. I've gone to friends houses and helped them get organized. It helps to have someone that isn't "invested" in your stuff to keep you moving instead of getting caught up in "oh....I remember when I bought this....oh....isn't this fabric pretty....and on and on and on". Don't buy any organizing bins or shelves until you see what you need. Until it's organized to a degree you won't know what you need or how much space you'll have to put them in. In one case there were so many leftover storage containers we had empty ones laying around. Folding your fabric neatly (and dare I say ironing it) takes up so much space than just wadding it into shapes and putting it away.
You can do this....start in one corner and work your way around the room. There are youtube videos and online groups that you can look into.
Good luck....it's a fun journey!!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:22 AM

I like the Ivar shelf system from Ikea. It's solid wood and you can adjust the space between shelves as needed. It's also affordable. If you do get the Ivar system then it might pay to also buy containers/tubs (SAMLA) from Ikea as well since they are designed to go together. Otherwise you may end up buying storage containers that do not fit as well. Good luck. It's been over a year and I am still not completely satisfied with my studio but it is slowly getting better.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:06 PM

Is the living room going to be the permeant place of your sewing room? (been there done that). Start slowly one section or item at a time. For me I started by organizing all my thread, then the fabric, which now needs a re-sort of some kind. I then went to patterns. I recently organized all the Accuquilt items. I have 6 sewing machines in my sewing studio right now. All of them call out to me from time to time. (there are 9 other DSM in the far bedroom).
I had cabinets installed on one wall that handle the majority of my fabrics and notions. There are lots of things that can be done. It just goes to not getting overwhelmed. Small steps my dear, small steps.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 PM

When I reorganize and have my hands on each thing, my go to question is: would I pay to move it. If the answer is no it goes in a re-home bag. In that process now myself. Some quilter is going to have a field day at Goodwill.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:41 PM

If you belong to Facebook they have group on there called Clean and Organized Sewing Rooms . There seem to be a lot of great ideas and a lot of help from other sewers.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:58 AM

So i have responded twice and can not see my reply