Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin case on Janome problem >

Bobbin case on Janome problem

Bobbin case on Janome problem

Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM

Get an extra bobbin case! Mine wear out every year or so ( constant use). I own 2 Janomes,a 6500 ( 15 yr old) that'll go through anything, even leather...and a used 8900 l've had 3 yr. They both sew well without issues, but the 8900 is a bit hesitant over thick sections,,and l " hand wheel" through those.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:52 AM

Default Bobbin case on Janome

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
I bought my Janome MC6300 in 2014. After working on some real thick masks last spring for the local hospital (4 layers thick with pleats plus elastic, it wasn't happy, I went very slowly but the machine just didn't want to do it at all the repair guy said it should be able to handle that thickness which much issue) the bobbin case starting bouncing around while sewing. It happens more when going a little faster (I keep the machine set to the middle range for speed on that switch and don't ever go super fast), and gets worse the closer you get to the end of the bobbin thread. I took it in to get cleaned and serviced last fall, and nothing changed. I took it back in a month or so ago with telling the repair guy exactly what I wanted looked at. He said there are grooves in the area under the bobbin case (is it called the hook race?? I'm not sure? It's the white part where the groove is) from me possibly not getting the needle up in far enough (he said even a 1/16" difference can sometimes cause problems) In the last 7 years I've only broken 2 needles, both with denim and in both cases the tip had to be pried out of the fabric, it never got lost in the machine. I clean the machine after every project, sometimes during if I think it's more linty than normal, when he cleaned it this fall he was surprised at how clean it was since it was it's first time in the shop in 7 years. I was using schmetz needles, he told me to switch to superior threads, and coats and clark thread which he told me to try the aurifil. Both changes have given me better looking stitches, but the rattle/bouncing still is happening. It's threaded by the machine, it's threaded through the machine the right way as well, the last time I dropped it off he told me to not touch anything on the machine and leave it as it is, and he said it looked fine in those regards. I'm just not sure what is wrong, and I assume he doesn't know either or it would be fixed. I can hear it happening too, it gets louder and makes a rattling noise and when you look while sewing when it doesn't make that noise it's all nice and smooth looking, and when the noise starts you can see the whole bobbin case rattling up and down. I assume he oiled the wick, I do plan on buying oil for it next time I'm somewhere that sells sewing machine oil so I can put a drop on the wick occasionally. When it does this it just makes noise, it doesn't mess up the stitching or anything else. Could that groove cause this? And if so couldn't he have just said it needs to be replaced and be done with it? What else could it be? Besides this issue I love this machine, but now I'm wondering if I should get a new one and keep this as a backup only. I only have the one machine so not having it while it was in the shop was hard. But looking at the prices of new machines, wow! I can't afford to do that right now, I'm already saving for one, but they are so much more than this one was in 2014! Like almost double the price in just 7 years for the next model up, I assume the next model, I can't figure out Janome's numbers?! I like the large throat, and kind of like the idea of the 6650 over the 6500, but it'll be a little bit before I could afford that. My local guy also sells the Elna machines more than the Janome, which I might look into, but I really like the looks/specs of the 6650 so far.
Anyone have any idea what the issue could be?
I am having the same problem and have been since buying my MC 15000. I just got it back from service last week and the bobbin case jumped again last evening. Mine was bought from dealer used but I have noticed what looks like a crack in the white part under bobbin holder. I use ONLY Janome bobbins and have found a new bobbin holder seems to help for awhile. It has never done it during embroidery which uses a special bobbin holder. What did you do about your's?
Old 05-15-2023, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ncb607 View Post
I am having the same problem and have been since buying my MC 15000. I just got it back from service last week and the bobbin case jumped again last evening. Mine was bought from dealer used but I have noticed what looks like a crack in the white part under bobbin holder. I use ONLY Janome bobbins and have found a new bobbin holder seems to help for awhile. It has never done it during embroidery which uses a special bobbin holder. What did you do about your's?
Well I just bought a couple new bobbin cases. I got a very small bit of money when my great aunt died, enough to cover the rest of the cost of a 6650 with what I had saved so far, and I don't like it at all. Had an issue with the foot pedal which seems fine now with them replacing it. I've been trying to sell it locally but no one is interested, too bad this didn't happen during COVID I probably could have sold it for almost what I paid for it instead of trying to unsuccessfully sell it at $500 off new when it's only a few months old. But I just can't bond with the machine at all and I'm back to my 6300. The bobbin is still a little wonky, but now I just deal with it, when it gets really bad I'll just put in a new case. I have no clue how the white part got scratched since even at it's lowest point the needle is no where near it, and how would it have gotten through the bobbin case? I do worry I'll need a new machine at some point, which I'm not sure what to do when it happens. I love quilting, but my health isn't real great and it's getting harder and harder to do some things, so I'm not sure if I'll quit, or go to a real cheap "crappy" machine to save money and just deal with that, that way if something happens I'm not out a ton of money like this last time (I don't have any shops near enough to me to go really test much out, aside from Joann's which only has the basic singer models. Or any repair shops locally either since the guy I brought this to I told him about what everyone here told me about the bobbin case and asked him to order me one to test it and he never ever got back to me!! So I was out hundreds of dollars in "repair" work that never really happened it was only barely cleaned (and he didn't oil the wick since it was super dry when I got it back!) when all it was was the bobbin case needing replacing!)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:08 AM

Default Bobbins

Unfortunately not all plastic bobbins are created equal. I was going to suggest you purchase some new “Janome “ bobbins as well . If that doesn’t work then I would purchase a new bobbin case. By the way, throw the warped bobbins out! Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:05 AM

old thread, fun that the OP responded! My first computerized janome went through (MC9000) 3 bobbin cases in it's lifespan, That would have been the first thing I would have suggested. I have a Janome Horizon now, and occasionally the bobbin itself will bounce when it is getting quite low on thread, but not always. But when I do hear that I fresh bobbin always cures the problem.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
old thread, fun that the OP responded! My first computerized janome went through (MC9000) 3 bobbin cases in it's lifespan, That would have been the first thing I would have suggested. I have a Janome Horizon now, and occasionally the bobbin itself will bounce when it is getting quite low on thread, but not always. But when I do hear that I fresh bobbin always cures the problem.
Yeah for me mostly it was/is the case, I've replaced it once, and the second time I'm not sure I really needed to but kind of prophylactically did it since it does REALLY bounce around a lot. But I do sometimes have issues when the bobbin gets real low it'll bounce too, it's good and bad, bad because it's annoying and I have to take it out and toss the thread (if I can't use it for some hand sewing, which is mostly what it goes to if there is enough left) good because it's almost like an alarm saying I'm out of bobbin thread instead of sewing for 6-12+" and seeing it's empty! haha. But yeah it is annoying.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:36 AM

I had that happen on my 3160 travel machine. You need to replace the bobbin case. That's where your problem is.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:08 AM

Default Bobbin case on Janome problem

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
Well I just bought a couple new bobbin cases. I got a very small bit of money when my great aunt died, enough to cover the rest of the cost of a 6650 with what I had saved so far, and I don't like it at all. Had an issue with the foot pedal which seems fine now with them replacing it. I've been trying to sell it locally but no one is interested, too bad this didn't happen during COVID I probably could have sold it for almost what I paid for it instead of trying to unsuccessfully sell it at $500 off new when it's only a few months old. But I just can't bond with the machine at all and I'm back to my 6300. The bobbin is still a little wonky, but now I just deal with it, when it gets really bad I'll just put in a new case. I have no clue how the white part got scratched since even at it's lowest point the needle is no where near it, and how would it have gotten through the bobbin case? I do worry I'll need a new machine at some point, which I'm not sure what to do when it happens. I love quilting, but my health isn't real great and it's getting harder and harder to do some things, so I'm not sure if I'll quit, or go to a real cheap "crappy" machine to save money and just deal with that, that way if something happens I'm not out a ton of money like this last time (I don't have any shops near enough to me to go really test much out, aside from Joann's which only has the basic singer models. Or any repair shops locally either since the guy I brought this to I told him about what everyone here told me about the bobbin case and asked him to order me one to test it and he never ever got back to me!! So I was out hundreds of dollars in "repair" work that never really happened it was only barely cleaned (and he didn't oil the wick since it was super dry when I got it back!) when all it was was the bobbin case needing replacing!)
Too bad you couldn't find a dealer that would take your machines in on a trade.....I did buy my Janome Skyline S3 from Joann online. It runs like a champ but dies not have dual feed altho the higher # ones do
Old 05-16-2023, 02:46 AM

I have enjoyed reading this whole thread as I've been having trouble with my Elna Excellence 720 (made by Janome) - it's been quite noisy when I use the "dual feed" foot to quilt. It sounds OK when I'm just piecing. The other day, the noise was really bad so I did another cleaning (despite having it professionally cleaned a few weeks ago). I dug way down and got out a blob of lint. I must have jostled something because now it's not as noisy. I will take a look at the bobbin case, though, because it jumps around more than I think it should. I use Schmetz needles with Aurifil thread most of the time. Despite the noise, the stitches look fine.

And BTW, I lost one of the screws that holds the throat plate on down in the machine. I heard it drop all the way, and sewing with one screw was quite noisy. I tried to order a replacement screw from that onlinesewingcenter (or whatever) and they sent a different one than advertised which didn't fit. It was cheap so I didn't send it back, but I'm happy to know about ken's sewing center. Will try them next time I need a part.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:51 AM

There's a "finger" that holds the bobbin case in place. It's usually to the back, left of the bobbin case. The metal is pretty soft. So you can usually press it back in position with your own finger. The thread passage in the front, right of the bobbin area has a small spring that the thread passes through. When that gets noisy, there's usually a burr on the plastic bobbin case. Sometimes we can polish it smooth with a very fine sandpaper (about 400 to 600 grit).

If you want an inexpensive machine that will sew layers without a problem, get a vintage Kenmore. The best ones have a front-loading bobbin (not drop-in), low-shank presser foot (not super-high shank as these sometimes have left-homing needles), and built in stitches (not cams).